Thursday, September 24, 2009

in sickness and in hell

In August I got strep throat. I haven't had it since I was a teenager. It felt like I was dying. I was down for 3 days with fever, chills, lack of appetite, pain, extremely swollen glands, nausea, lethargy, and a very SORE throat. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Thank goodness for drugs (I'm talking about the strong antibiotic kind). Needless to say, my kids were like orphans during those few days while I laid in bed recovering. They dressed themselves, fed themselves, took care of themselves. My house looked like a train wreck: the kitchen counters and tables were covered in food debris, their bedroom floor was so covered in toys that the carpet wasn't visible, the bathroom was filthy. It was awful. I was wishing during those days that my mother would magically appear and come to my rescue, but alas, all the prayers didn't make that miracle happen. And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I discovered this:

Luckily for Micah, I was too sick to get really angry with him. But even a new school haircut the next week didn't cover up that one!

5 comments:

Ryan n Heidi said...

Ugh- Strep is nasty, nasty! I agree, it does feel like you're death-warmed-over!
The haircuts are funny- I believe EVERY kid does that, I know I did (maybe a few times) and also practiced on my barbie's hair- but it never grew back!

Tiffany said...

I am so sorry to hear you were SO sick... I had no idea! I sure hope you are feeling better, I hope you know that you can call me to come help you with anything especially helping you with you little boys I would love to have helped you!

Miss Heather said...

That's an AWESOME haircut! :)

And your blog title made me laugh... seriously laugh! :)

D'Neill said...

Yuck! Did you get it from Gina? :) Hope you are feeling better!!

Emily said...

One of my biggest mother meltdowns was the hair cutting fiasco of 2007, which left several my little ponies, a few cabbage patch dolls, one care bear, and Rachel all without hair. I cried and screamed and threatened and cried some more. Not my best moment.