Sunday, December 5, 2010

5th Day of Christmas - Janet

Introducing...Josh's aunt JANET
Janet is Josh's dad's younger sister. I know that Janet is Josh's aunt, but I've always felt like she was my family, too. And I felt that way about her even before I married Josh.

The first time I met Janet was when Josh and I were dating. Josh and I worked together at a lawn maintenance company in northern Utah. I had just graduated high school, and he had just returned from his mission. One day, he was talking to me in the kitchen, and he asked me "What do you think would be a fun date?" We were just acquaintances at that point, and I thought he was going to ask out another girl that I knew. I started giving him ideas, such as "I think it would be fun to go miniature golfing, or to go roller skating, or to go for a horse ride". I had never ridden a horse, but I'd always wanted to. Josh, who grew up on a ranch, was excellent with horses. From that conversation, he had an idea to take me on a date to go ride horses on his aunt Janet's ranch in southeast Idaho. I was so excited when he asked ME to ride horses with him!! It was like a dream come true, in more ways than one!

When we got to Janet & Ben's home, Josh introduced me to her. She was the first family member of Josh's that I met, and I instantly warmed up to her. Being in her presence felt like being around a longtime friend. Josh took me out to the corrals and saddled up the horses and we went riding. Unfortunately, during the ride, my horse started running and kicking up her legs. I didn't know how to handle the situation and I got freaked out, and as a result, I've hated riding horses ever since. But, on a positive note, I have loved Aunt Janet ever since I met her from that first introduction!!! I remember thinking to myself, "If all of Josh's family is like her, then I think he is marriage-material"!

Aunt Janet has a heart-warming presence about her; she is pleasant and friendly and has a positive attitude. I love being around her and I love talking with her. She is down-to-earth, and she is so easygoing. She is also a wonderful cook. She cooks for large quantities of people, and she makes it look so easy! Janet & Ben have 7 children: 6 boys and a girl. Making food for her growing boys is like cooking for a buffet restaurant every day!! And it's a yummy buffet restaurant, believe me!

I love her attitude towards life--she doesn't get stressed out, and she approaches every situation with a smile. She is so uplifting!! Janet's family now owns a c-store and motel in Stanley, Idaho (if you're ever in Stanley, stop in at their business, Jerry's Country Store & Motel and say hello!). We get to visit her family several times a year because they only live a couple hours away from Salmon. My children LOVE her children, despite the age difference: there is 20 years between her oldest and my youngest! My boys refer to her kids as "the Big cousins" because they are so much older! And my boys absolutely love their "big" cousins! They enjoy playing with them and being at their house! Janet's home is so fun, and I always feel a strong spirit of love and acceptance and gratitude within its walls.

Janet, thank you for loving me and my family, and for always being so accepting and supportive. Thank you for being a living example of Christ-like love. I think of you as a pillar of strength, and I admire your optimism. I sincerely love you, and I'm so grateful for your presence in my life!

1 comment:

janet said...

Kala, what absolutely nice things that you have written. We thank you and your family for being part of our lives. What a joy you all bring into our lives. Our children love playing with yours. That is the only reason they like going to Salmon is to stop at Uncle Edwards and play with "the cousins". thank you! Janet