Thursday, December 2, 2010

2nd Day of Christmas - Joe

Introducing...my friend JOE
Joe was in my high school graduating class. I remember him as such a fun-loving, easy-going guy. He could get along with anybody! And people loved to be around him. Unlike some high school teenage boys (you know, the cocky, rude, immature ones), Joe was polite and kind and sensitive to the thoughts of others. Because of this, he interacted positively with both sexes. Joe is the only boy in his family, and he has 5 sisters. I think growing up with all those girls helped him refine his qualities! Joe also has an awesome sense of humor. He is so hilarious! He was always cracking jokes and making others around him smile and laugh. That is such a great character trait to have!

During my senior year, I served in the Key Club Presidency with Joe. He was the president, and he approached all his duties with enthusiasm, and never slacked off. I was involved in the activities and organizational meetings with him, and I appreciated the time getting to know him better, and to serve with him. He was such a sweet guy!

His dad was a counselor at the Middle School where my dad worked as a teacher, so our parents knew each other. Funny story: at one music concert during my senior year, my mom sat by his mom, and when it was over, she told me that she had made plans with his mom for the two of us to marry each other. She was so giddy about it, and went on and on about all the reasons why it would work. I still roll my eyes about that, and I still don't understand how that even got started, because I was never romantically interested in Joe, nor was he in me. We never even went on a date!

Joe is now married to a lovely lady named Jenn, who I met at our 10-year class reunion. They look so good together! They are the parents of four precious children. They have twins that are the same age as my youngest son, and they were delivered 8 weeks prematurely. My mom (who still has dreams that weren't fulfilled) was so excited when she found out. She quickly let me know, because my own twins were also delivered 9 weeks premature, so that meant Joe and I had something in common {rolling my eyes here}! Yes, it's true mom, we do.

Joe is a musician, and he played the trombone in band during high school. He loves music, especially alternative rock! Joe is really smart, and his thoughts often fascinate me. He is a hard worker, and he is devoted to his family. He is good with his hands, and I'm always reading on Jenn's blog about the jobs that he does throughout their home. I've enjoyed getting to know his wife better through the blog that she writes about her family. Some of her posts have brought me to tears, and others have had me bursting in laughter. I appreciate her honest approach to life, and her heart that is so full of love and compassion for others. Oh, and I love her photo skills, too (just like the one above!).

I was never in the same friend-circle as Joe during our school years, but I will always consider him my friend. I look up to Joe a lot. He's endured several hardships in life, and has come out of them the better man. Thanks, Joe, for being my friend and for making the world a better place just by being in it!

2 comments:

Joe said...

Thanks Kayla, I put a check to you in the mail for not saying anything about that thing at the place with those people... Anyway, happy holidays and may the force be with you. :)

Joe said...

Kala, you forgot to mention that spelling people's names is a weak point!