Sunday, December 12, 2010

12th Day of Christmas - Heather

Introducing...my dear friend HEATHER
Heather and I became friends when I was in 8th grade. She was one year younger than me in school, and we were both in the junior high production of "Bye Bye Birdie". That was such a fun play! The cast got along so well, and we had a great time! During the course of our high school years, Heather and I were both involved in numerous plays and drama competitions and shakespeare competitions together. My favorite memory of acting on stage with Heather was during the fall of my Junior year, when we were both in the ensemble scene for Shakespeare Competition. We both played "harlots" in the play "Pericles". I had the bestest time being a harlot! In real life, I was a good mormon girl, but I enjoyed portraying a different kind of girl on the stage with Heather and Sara and Amy and Eve! That was an awesome year for our school: we earned the first place trophy for our ensemble scene, and we also tied for first place in sweepstakes (the overall award including all the individual scenes). I always smile when I think of memories from that Shakespeare competition!

Participating in drama during the awkward teenage years can really help boost adolescents' self-esteem. Actors have to put all personal issues aside while portraying character roles, memorizing lines, dancing and singing songs on stage in front of hundreds of students and parents and strangers. It can be terrifying and nerve-wracking and difficult to maintain composure, but each cast grows close together and each individual becomes an important member of the team. It's empowering to know that even though you're putting yourself out there, there are people behind you and alongside backing you up. We all learned that it was okay to be different, that we could and should just be who we are--our crazy selves, because we were taught and felt acceptance by our fellow acting peers. I have kept those life-lessons to heart, and so has Heather. She appreciates the differences in others and is accepting of others and their lifestyle choices. And she believes in being who she is, and she is nothing but true to herself. I love her for that.

I am so grateful for Heather's friendship in my life; not only through my teenage years, but also in my adulthood. After I got married and moved away from my hometown, I didn't see her or talk to her and we lost touch. But several years ago, thanks to a social networking site, we were reconnected. And through blogging and facebook, we've stayed in touch.

Heather is so outgoing and friendly. She makes friends so easily and friendships are so important to her. She makes sure that her friends know that she cares about them. I've received several homemade cards in the mail from her over the years, for my birthday and at Christmas and thank-you notes. She always remembers to let others know how much she appreciates them, and I value that quality in her that she so freely shares.

Last year, we went out for lunch together, and I remembered just how much I used to love being in her presence. She is so funny and I just love her laugh! She is a great listener and is very understanding: I always feel like she "gets me". She is thoughtful and compassionate, and knows the right things to say and do to help others who are struggling. She's experienced some rough things in her lifetime and she has come out of them the better person. She is open and honest and non-judgmental, and I love that about her. I love being around others who I feel understand me and who don't judge me for the dumb things that I say and do. There have been many lonely times over the last few years where I wished that I lived by her, because I knew that I could run to her and she would welcome me with open arms and make me instantly feel better. Instead, I just call her, and she's been able to provide her support over the phone.

Heather knows how to have fun, she knows how to throw a good party, and she is the life of the party! I went to a sleepover party once at her house during high school, and I remember feeling so cool that I got an invitation! It was so fun, and she had games and movies and yummy food all prepared. It was an awesome party! I'm sad every time I hear about one of the parties she hosts now since I live so far away and can't go, but if I did, I know I would just have the time of my life! But, I am excited to announce that I will be seeing Bon Jovi and Lady Gaga in concert with her this spring! And we are gonna rock it!!!

Heather, thank you so much for your friendship. I love you dearly, and I'm so glad for the times that you've been there for me. Thanks for sharing the laughs and tears and thoughts and feelings. Thank you for understanding me and accepting me and for loving me regardless of who I am! You are an awesome lady, and I'm glad that you are a part of my life!

2 comments:

Miss Heather said...

You are so sweet, Kala... I feel the exact same about you! Thank you for making my day. :) I love you!

Marsha said...

Heather is indeed a very special person.