Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Floating, Swimming, Jumping, & Goal-Achieving

We live just 10 miles away from Williams Lake. And yet, we seem to visit it only once a year. Why is that? I really have no idea; it just doesn't make any sense! But I do know that this year's afternoon trip there was probably my favorite one yet! When we first arrived, we unloaded all our stuff onto the dock, and spent time lounging and floating, soaking up some ultra-desirable summer sun rays.

But naturally, after warming ourselves up, we needed to cool off. And what better way to do that than by jumping in the lake?!!!! Josh did it first, then me, and then Ammon decided to join in the fun! After doing it over and over a handful of times, we persuaded Jonah and Micah to try it. They bravely attempted dipping in the chilly waters with dad's helping hands.


After jumping in repeatedly and getting used to the bitter cold water, it was swimming time. My whole purpose in planning the trip to Williams Lake was to complete a goal of mine: to swim past the rock island. Last year I swam to it, and surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it. I wanted to surpass what I did last year. It was more difficult than I remembered! The lake is full of moss (in the lower left of the photo below you can see some just under the water surface) and the whipping waves are so much harder to swim in than a swimming pool.
I started on the furthest dock this year, which extended my swim by 25 yards. I swam to the little rock island (in the right of the photo below). Josh drove the kids over to that area, and they watched from the mainland, as he swam a little ways to meet me at the island. Then we climbed up the rock and jumped off! This was a feat in itself for me because I don't even like the high-dive at my natatorium! I jumped off a 15-foot cliff and Josh jumped off a 20-foot cliff. It was exhilerating!!! After the jump, we swam back to the mainland, hiked up to where the boys were waiting, and walked another 100 yards uphill to the truck (I did so barefoot). We were both exhausted, but I felt great! It was exciting to have outdone my goal expectations as well as have a bit of a thrill! I think maybe next year we'll go more than just once...

2 comments:

darcymae said...

good job! and i love the pictures of you all mid air!

Sunshine Designed said...

Way to go Kala. Sounds and looks like a great place to visit...more!
Love your action shots! I visualize you making Ammon and Josh jump a couple dozen times in order to get the perfect shot (like the lightening at Fishlake). They turned out awesome!