Tuesday, September 22, 2009

16 vs. 30












I am a Leo, with an August birthday.

During my teenage years, having a summer birthday meant that I never got my locker decorated, or sung to at school, or got balloons in front of my classmates. Because I am one of the youngest members of my class, this also meant that I was one of the last ones in my grade to go on dates. My sophomore year I had the hugest crush on a senior, and I was tortured daily by the fact that I wouldn't be able to date him or attend dances with him because by the time I turned 16, he would have already graduated. I watched on the sidelines as all of my other friends during my sophomore year went to Homecoming, and Girl's Choice, and even Prom. For every friend that turned 16 before me, it was just another reminder to me of my inability to date. I know it sounds lame now, but really, it's what soon-to-be-16-year-old-mormon-girls think about all the time!

In due time (and LOTS of it), my classmates and I have all approached our 30th birthday during this past year. My feelings during my 29th year have been the exact opposite of the feelings of my 15th year. Throughout this year, I have been blissfully gloating as each of my friends that I graduated with turned 30 before me. It was so fun to see birthday reminders on Facebook, and I knew that classmates were turning the dreaded 30 so far ahead of me!!! I felt younger than them, and I loved being able to rub it in their faces that they are older than me!!! It really cured me of my self-induced torture I felt when I couldn't date and they could 14 years ago! And so, in my own little immature way, I have loved being younger than them for that very reason!

But now that I'm actually 30, the truth is....30 doesn't feel any older than 29. It just sounds like it. So all of that blissful gloating this year, in retrospect, was really all for nothing. Absolutely Nothing. Because, the real truth is, it doesn't even matter how old you are. Once you graduate high school, and you move on, age really has no boundaries anymore.

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Tyson's birthday is the end of August & I am worried about putting him into school next year because of the reasons that you mentioned. Last one to date, drive, & go on a mission. I think it would be hard on a boys ego too. I don't know what to do. Do you wish your parents would have held you back a year?

D'Neill said...

Paige has an august birthday, so thanks for the insight (and I'll be prepared for her sophmore year ;) - 30 wasn't a big deal for me, either, just another number because I was really happy with where my life was (and is now) - thanks for the thoughts :)

Melissa said...

Too true. I remember being in that "too young to date club" with you. And, like you, I HATED having a summer birthday for all the same reasons!

Emily said...

30 is the new 20! Hope you had a happy one;)

Sunshine said...

I loved turning 30. I was like.. YES, I made it... I'm not a baby any more, and then I turned 31 and thought what the heck... I'm 31..31 do you hear me? 31 I have lived for 31 years... wow!

Hope you had a great one too!

birdeeb said...

My birthday is August 22nd...yeah No cupcake cones for my b-day...I was always jealous when kids got to bring those to school for their b-days haha! So now I make them for my kids HA! I was the young one in my grade and I look back at when my 4th grade teacher held me back & how much I hated her for it...but now I think I did so much better when I was the "older" kid. I got along with the kids better. I fit in more. AND I LOVED driving my "younger" friends around & to school ;o)

birdeeb said...

Oh and I didn't date in school...at all...no one asked me out! The only reason I went to my dances was if I asked the guy! Sad huh??

Jennie said...

hi! i am a friend of emily higbee! she posted about you today and just wanted to "meet" you!

you have a great blog and a beautiful family! :)

thanks for sharing! and... i was also the youngest in my class and didn't actually turn 16 until my junior year!! crazy!

anyway... thanks! :)