Friday, June 28, 2019

My Perfect Day

After the twins and I got home late Saturday night (technically it was early Sunday morning since it was 1am), I didn't feel like getting up on Sunday morning to go to church. I was exhausted and didn't feel like socializing with people, and I just wanted to be home after spending my entire spring break away, and just knowing that I would have to return to work the next day made me just want to stay home and spend time alone with Josh. But despite these feelings, I went anyway... I wasn't in the happiest of moods to be there. After I took the sacrament, my crabbiness melted away, and I felt the spirit during the meeting and the speaker's message and I was glad I went. It helped that Amanda and Ryan came to church and sat by us, which was nice. Josh had gone out to dinner with the Berube's and John the previous night, but I was still en-route from DC, and wasn't able to, so I was glad for the chance to see and talk to them at church. 

Surprisingly, my day just got better and better after that. The weather was beautiful that afternoon, and I felt like a bear coming out after hibernation: I just wanted to be in the sun's glorious light and let my soul wake up. I set out the blue zero gravity chairs on the deck, and Josh and I laid in them for a couple of hours, soaking in the rays and taking a siesta. It felt like spring had finally arrived, and I could burst out of my seasonal shell of winter blues at last. 


Because it was nice out, the boys felt like playing some basketball, and they invited Josh to play with them. He had recently mowed the lawn for the first time while I was away that week (usually we mow it before now, but winter had stayed so late this year, that we had to wait for the snow to melt first!), and I loved the view. I opted to just lounge in my hammock chair in the yard, and listened/watched them play ball from a distance while I enjoyed the beauty around me. It felt so rewarding and fed my spirit even more. I had really missed my home while I was away!


Josh had really missed me while I was away, too, which was heavenly. He doesn't always reciprocate the feelings of longing for one another while we are separated, so when he does show them, it makes my heart feel so alive. Spending time with him that afternoon was exactly what I needed. He filled my cup to overflowing!

And just when I thought my day couldn't get more perfect, my friends came to visit! Amanda and Ryan came over and brought John with them, too! We ate snacks, talked, and played Jackbox TV games for a couple of hours. It was so fulfilling for me to spend quality time with them.


I know all of these things just sound like ordinary happenings, but for some reason, everything on this particular day felt heightened in my heart and soul. I felt so unbelievably happy. It was the happiest day I've had in a very long time, and was the most perfect day I've had all year. I had loved my trip with my boys to see my sister and visit the DC area, but being home was pure bliss, spending time with my husband, my family, and my friends was food for my soul, and being surrounded by the beauty of God's creations returning to life raised me to an extended state of elated joy. I experienced just a portion of  Heaven on Earth on the last day of March this year; even now I can still remember what it felt like and it makes my heart swell and my eyes tear up. I am so blessed!

No comments: