Wednesday, June 5, 2019

February 2019

February is LOVE month!!! These first two pictures represent just two of the many reasons I LOVE JOSH: He changes the oil in our cars and takes good care of their mechanical needs, and he's a fantastic cook--he's the best meat cooker in either of our families, and we love when he grills or slow cooks our dinners!



We invited the Phil and Darcy over for the Superbowl this year. We also invited a man we'd met at church named Daniel. The teams were the Patriots (Ammon's team) and the Rams. We weren't really invested in either of the teams (Ammon was at college for the game or he would've been!), so we just talked with our company, laughed at the commercials, and ate good food while we watched the game. The Patriots won 13-3, so Josh ended up winning the "Guess the Final Score" game to take the prized bag of chocolate.




Chinese New Year was February 5. My students made a Chinese dragon, and we took it on parade through the school while the other 2nd grade class carried Lions and played noisy instruments. It was fun!



I took my friend Alex to go get pedicures also on February 5, as a treat for her finishing chemotherapy. I took her to the Evans School in Rexburg because I heard you didn't need to make appointments. I raced over after school to meet Alex there, but unfortunately we got there too late in the day for a full pedicure (I thought they closed at 7, but apparently they close at 5), so they just painted our toenails only. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't even use gel polish, they just applied the regular kind. Alex didn't feel up to going out afterwards, but I was glad she was feeling up to even going out at all. I'm so glad she's done with chemotherapy and that it was a successful treatment for her!



Ammon wore his new birthday suit (literally, haha!) for a career fair at U of I at the beginning of February. He looks so handsome!


We hadn't received much snow in Salmon this winter, but in February, we really started to get the precipitation we'd been hoping for!! It was so pretty!



I watched the show "Tidying Up with Marie Kondo" on Netflix, and was inspired to get an early start on the deep-cleaning that I do in Spring. I cleaned out my closet in Salmon one afternoon and took out a bag of garbage of old shoes and stained clothes, and another bag to Rags and Wags of clothing to donate. It felt so good to use my shelves above my clothing racks better and free up some of the floor space.   
I wish I'd taken a "Before" shot, but I didn't think of it. 
I moved on to the dining room next. I went through some of our food storage, and moved some of the shelves around so that it opened up the space around the table better. I put the small shelf next to the rotating shelf, and it fits that space perfectly! I also moved some of the decorative pieces on the wall around and put up a new hanging shelf I bought from my friend Hailey's store (not pictured below). Hanging up the shelf inspired me to move around some other pictures on walls in the house, and to get rid of some of the decorations that I had on my fridge and sell some of my kitchen gadgets that I don't use. 
This is the "After" shot--No "Before" shot again...
Next on my list was the boxed toys under the boys' beds, but I only made it through two boxes of legos. I sorted larger sets, and ended up throwing a whole bag away with giant missing pieces. I sorted the rest and took them to my classroom, and my students have LOVED playing with them during inside recesses and free time. 

Josh started getting into the whole deep-cleaning thing after watching me, and actually tackled some of the shoes, shirts, and hats in his closet. He even put the clothes on the bed to sort them, per the KonMari method states to do! [Side note: He has the BIGGEST closet in our house, because he has the MOST clothes of any of us!!!] I was really proud of him for throwing some away, and donating a big bag to charity. His closet is in much better shape now, too! 



Jonah and Micah had a science project where they had to build a diagram of an element. It had to include protons, neutrons, and electrons with a nucleus. They both had their own ideas, and used things around the house to build their model. They did a good job!
Micah used pipe cleaners, a squishy ball, blue tape, and pieces of food. 

Jonah used a hanger, pipe cleaners, bouncy balls, and tape. 


Jonah and Micah attended the Stake Youth Formal dance. The theme was Alice in Wonderland. It was decorated beautifully, and the boys had a good time eating dinner and dancing with their friends. They were even kind and stayed late to help take the tent frame down and clean up afterwards. While they were gone, Josh and I went out to dinner with our friends Amanda & Ryan and Jen & Dallin at Bertram's.
They are so handsome! 
btw, the pictures behind them are some that I re-arranged
while I was deep-cleaning the house. 





Kanyon turned 12!! I took him shopping with some of Grandma P's birthday money before the big day. He bought a new jacket with a waterproof exterior (which he has worn practically non-stop all spring), new socks, and his favorite chips. He was an excellent shopper, and got the best deal for the money; I was so proud of him! (more about his birthday in a separate post)


Sadly, Josh and I spent February 14 (Valentine's Day) apart from each other. He drove the high school ski bus to Lost Trail for the day, and I did my Valentine's class party. However, we did see each other the night before at District Basketball in South Fremont, which I was grateful for!




For one of the activities at the party, I did a "cupid's arrow" game.
I re-used some of the boxes from the Chinese New Year dragon. I cut heart-shaped
holes in it, covered them on the inside with tissue paper, and had the students
shoot little nerf guns at them for targets. It was harder than I thought it would be,
but some of the kids had never shot a nerf gun before (what?!!), so they had fun!

I brought the targets home to Salmon to let the boys try it out--they were a 
lot better at the small targets. Net year, my target holes will be MUCH larger!


The high school music department's Swing Night was on Saturday the 16th. There was a yummy taco dinner (that I was assigned to help bring food for) and lots of good music. Jonah played in the band; there was about 30 jazz songs, some instrumental and some with vocals. It was a fun date night! Josh and I ate, and danced to several of the songs before I accidentally pulled off a button in the middle of his shirt (it got caught in my shawl while he spun me around) and promptly decided to leave.





My friend Heather gave me this cute necklace for my
birthday, with a small "k". It's so pretty!


Josh took a Jeep ride up to Lover's Lookout one night to watch the sunset.




The last weekend in February it snowed a TON!!! It snowed on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. It snowed so much that Monday was a Snow Day from both West J and Salmon school districts.
I couldn't believe it when I saw the storm warming for
8-12 inches of snow!! But the white stuff just kept falling!

Saturday evening

Sunday morning on the way to church

Monday morning

Since it was a snow day, we played in the snow!!! It was our first, and BEST, sledding day all winter long!






Can we have a moment of silence for a cup I've owned for 35 years?!! It's been with me through my childhood, teenage years, college life, newly married life, and motherhood. It got a crack in it a few months ago, which just worsened to the point that I couldn't drink out of it without it dribbling down the front of me. This cup came with a picnic set of 4 that my parents owned, and my brothers each had their own specific color of cup that we all individually drank out of: there was also a blue, a green, and a yellow (I don't know who used the yellow, but the blue and green were Mick and Cody's). This has been my own individual cup for as long as I can remember. I sadly threw it away after I took these photos. Strangely, I miss it so much! I loved this plastic pink cup!


Kanyon's 3rd band concert of the year was at the end of February. Thankfully, Josh was able to attend, too. They had a dinner fundraiser with it, so we ate at tables in the ALC gym while the students played. It was nice. The kiddos ate afterwards while we cleaned up. Kanyon did a great job playing with the Jr. High beginning band!



No comments: