Sunday, September 19, 2010

Today's Special

A tradition in the Perkins family growing up was that we each got to choose the dinner menu for our birthday.

Most of us had a favorite dish, and would choose it year after year. For example, my brother Mick always chose Taco Salad and my brother Cody always chose Lasagna.

And as for me? Well, I always chose this: My menu was Ham and Potatoes Au Gratin and Corn.

For many years in my adult life, I've been in Utah in August (around my birthday) and my mom has made my favorite menu for me while I was there.

This year, however, I thought it was time to grow up and take care of myself instead of driving to Utah and having my mom make my meal for me. After all, I was turning 31. 31 is plenty old enough to take charge of my own birthday and be grown-up enough to make a special day for myself, right?

Yeah, I thought so, too.

So I cooked the ham, made the potatoes, and prepared my own birthday meal. And it was quite delicious, too. I felt quite satisfied with myself.

But a birthday meal isn't complete without a birthday dessert, of course.

Ever since my teenage years, I've asked to have this as my birthday dessert:
I love me some strawberry rhubarb pie, warmed up, with vanilla ice cream on top. SOO delicious! It's my favorite dessert EVER!!!

And instead of hoping that Josh would get me one, or waiting for my mom to get me one, I got one for myself. And I got some vanilla-bean ice cream to go with it. And it also felt pretty satisfying to do something special for myself in honor of my special day.

The best part about my strawberry-rhubarb pie is that no one else in my family likes it, so I am guaranteed to eat it all by myself! I ate a piece a la mode following my birthday dinner, and after that, I ate a piece for breakfast every morning until it was all gone. And I enjoyed every single bite!

My boys lucked out this year, because they got to have dessert for my birthday, as well. My friend Gina made a Boston Cream Cake just for me for my birthday. It was an absolutely wonderful surprise and a super yummy one, too! It was the first time anyone had made a birthday cake just for me since my mom did in my youth. I felt pretty darn special. And the boys loved eating some yummy cake while I consumed my pie in front of them! Thank you, Gina!
I love feeling special on my birthday. Just like Christmas and Thanksgiving and 4th of July are all special days with traditional meals involved, my birthday is too. I look forward to it each year, I think mostly just to have my favorite food!!!

1 comment:

alyssa said...

We had that same "you are special" plate growing up in my family! I love that you have the same one.