Monday, September 20, 2010

Happy Campers (except for one damper)

On August 14 (my birthday!) we went camping to nearby Williams Lake (just 10 miles from our home). It turned out to be my favorite camping trip of this summer; here's 10 reasons why:

1. Ammon tried over and over, using several methods, to try and catch a chipmunk. Even though he was always unsuccessful in his attempts, it was hilarious to watch and we all had several good laughs!
2. Jonah and Micah had so much fun exploring on the big rocks by our camping spot, and it kept them busy for hours.
3. Kanyon, Jonah, and Micah found enough treasures while exploring around the rocks and trails to fill a whole gatorade bottle! And they were SO proud of their creation!!!

4. Kanyon likes following Jonah and Micah and doing whatever they do every day. Which included smashing rocks on this camping trip. He thought it was so fun. Until his finger got smashed by a rock. And subsequently, his fingernail fell off. So, in that instance, he followed Ammon (the day after his lawn-mowing accident) and got to have bandages wrapped around his bleeding finger. All of that was not enjoyable in the slightest, but the reason it made this list is because I love this photo of him after the crying finally stopped:
5. Josh helped me make tinfoil dinners. I enjoyed working alongside him to put the dinners together, and then he cooked them all. It was so stress-free and very delicious!
6. Josh and the boys made a nice campfire. And this time, the wind didn't blow too hard, so there wasn't smoke all over my face like there usually is. I sat and relaxed in my camping chair and read a great book by the campfire while the boys all played with their sticks in it.

7. Josh prepared a surprise party for me. He was so thoughtful!! He took the boys inside the trailer, and when they emerged, it was the cutest and funniest funeral procession I've ever seen. They all walked out very slowly, one little step at a time in a single-file line, each carrying a gift, and all of them were singing "Happy Birthday to you" in slow, melancholy tunes. They brought their gifts to me, and Josh had some brownies with lit candles that I blew out. It was absolutely wonderful and the best highlight of the whole camping trip!
8. I loved the gifts that the boys gave me: Cracklin Oat Bran--my favorite cereal, Andes--my favorite mints, and Gardettos--my favorite snack mix. Then Josh got me the grandest gift of all, the item I'd been asking and hoping and wishing for for months, a CHI!!! Thanks, honey!
9. We took the boys down to a dock on Williams Lake that we'd never been to before. The area was sandy rather than rocky, so it was much more kid-friendly and we all enjoyed playing by the water!!!
10. My final reason for loving this camping trip is the very reason I love camping in general: Relaxing. The whole camping trip (other than Kanyon's finger getting smashed) was very relaxing and I felt so happy the entire time! I also got a kick out of Josh--he can relax even amidst a whole bunch of duck turds!!!

3 comments:

Debra said...

What a fun Camping Trip! It's good you like camping with all those boys... Glad you had a good time and a good Birthday! I love the first picture of all your boys...very Sweet!

Tawna said...

Yay, you got a chi! That thing is awesome! Next time you come down, I'll show you how to make cute loose curls in your hair with it. LOVE YOU!!!

darcymae said...

so...has the chi changed your life? i dont have one and am wondering if its really worth all the fuss.