Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Like Father, Like Son

I took this picture at one of Ammon's football games. It was a gorgeous fall day, and I liked the contrast between Josh's bright orange shirt and the beautiful clear blue sky.
But after taking the photo, upon further inspection of it, I found myself staring more at the similarities between Josh and his dad rather than the contrast of the bold orange and blue colors!

Similarities:
--hands in pants pockets
--wearing sunglasses
--wearing hats
--wearing collared, button-up shirts
--top buttons on shirts are un-done
--facial expressions

The similar items in this photo are visible ones, but many times, similarities between parent and child are not always visible. For example, things that Ammon says or certain expressions he displays or ways in which he acts remind me so much of his dad. And Josh has several similar mannerisms to his dad. And Edward (Josh's dad) has a lot of attributes that are like his father's (Josh's grandpa). I like seeing the similarities between each of them. I like having the knowledge of where a specific trait was inherited from. I like how mannerisms are learned and expressions are mirrored as children, ultimately creating a bond that passes down from father to son unaware. I love how each generation is linked with the previous one, regardless of the similarities of the visible appearances.

2 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Too bad all those traits and similarities aren't always just the good ones! JOSH

Tiffany said...

LOL, Josh!
They didn't get the football gene from Dad, though -- where was that inherited from?