Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blue Jets and Golfing Greens

The Rex Tolman Reunion in Blackfoot was on a Friday, and Ammon had a Jr. Golf Tournament in Rigby the following Monday, so we decided to make a family weekend out of it, and stayed and played in Idaho Falls that Sunday.

We dropped off Josh and Ammon in Rigby, and they played the 18-hole golf course together.


And I took the younger three boys with me to go watch the Blue Angels Air Show in Idaho Falls. We decided to watch from a park across the freeway from the airport. It was a hot day, and sitting in the shade at the park felt good. The show started out with several different older-style planes doing tricks, one airplane at a time. I really enjoyed watching the maneuvering planes, seeing the smoke, and hearing their engines. Being at the park was both a good and a bad thing. Good because it was free, it enabled the boys to run around and climb trees and explore during the breaks in between each of the performances, and it was cool in the shade. But due to the height of the trees in the park, our view of the lower stunts was inhibited.

After a couple hours, it was time for the main performers:

They were absolutely incredible to behold. When I was 8 years old, my family lived in South Ogden. I fell in love with the constant sound of the jets flying in and out of the nearby Hill Air Force Base. I hadn't heard the sound of jets in years; it is a sound I adore! The boys weren't as fond of the noise, though, and every time there was a low fly-by, they all covered their ears! For an hour, we watched the jets create different formations, fly in different directions, and perform many stunts. I loved every minute of it! And, other than the noise, so did my boys!
If I ever have the chance to see their air show again, I will pay the money to watch it from the airport--I loved it that much!! After the show, we went back to Rigby and picked up Josh and Ammon, and then we all went out to eat. We had dinner and delicious shakes at Arctic Circle, and the boys played in their PlayZone area for a while after. It was truly a nice, relaxing day and a fun weekend getaway!

No comments: