Saturday, December 28, 2019

Forty for 40

I turned 40 in August.

I've been dreading this birthday since last January. Really dreading it. I couldn't imagine being the number that has been in my future for so long, but would now become the age of my present self.

I wasn't ready for it to come. I'm not really where I thought I would be at when I reached this age (physically, financially, etc.).

I gave it a lot of thought, and decided back in June that I would make a list of everything I wanted to accomplish at this age. So rather than feeling like I hadn't accomplished what I wanted to prior to turning 40, it would give me something TO accomplish WHEN I was already 40.

After that, I looked forward to my birthday instead! I totally changed my mindset, and anxiously awaited for my birthday to arrive in order to start on my list of 40 items that I want to accomplish this year.

I worked on this list for two months before my birthday, adding or removing or editing items. I wanted items to represent different aspects of my life. I wanted my list to include items that were simple, and items that would be fulfilling, things that would require planning and money, and things that would require effort and were free. I wanted to make sure the list included components of both growth and enjoyment, relaxation and hard work. Everything on this list brings me happiness, so I know that's it's going to be a great year to be 40!!

Kala's List of 40 Things to Do When I'm 40

TRAVEL
1. Ride in a hot air balloon
2. Go on vacation to Mexico
3. Hike Zion's National Park with the family
4. Visit a new National Park
5. Take a scenic flight into the Flying B ranch in the wilderness
6. Go snowmobiling
7. Go parasailing
8. Float a different section of the Salmon River
9. Go to a new temple

PERFORMING ARTS
10. Watch a play at the Shakespeare Festival
11. Watch a Broadway play
12. Watch a movie at the theater on its opening day
13. Have a TV or movie marathon for 12 hours
14. See the Piano Guys perform in concert
15. Learn to play the harmonica
16. Learn a new song on the ukelele
17. Memorize a song to sing.

LEARN & TRY NEW THINGS
18. Learn to play a new game
19. Cook or bake a new recipe
20. Try a new drink
21. Learn more Spanish
22. Take a photography class
23. Go to a new sit-down restaurant and eat something different
24. Read a book outside my normal genre and DON'T skip to the end first!

WITH JOSH

25. Go on a day trip with Josh on the motorcycle
26. Go Jeep/tent camping with Josh to a new place
27. Soak in a new hot springs with Josh
28. Have intimate relations in a new location
29. Go dancing with Josh
30. Beat Josh at Scrabble
31. Get a couple's massage

A BETTER ME
32. Finish reading the Book of Mormon
33. Pay off my credit card
34. Get my weight under 200 pounds
35. Write every day for a year in a Joy Journal
36. Create a wall in my home of family pictures on canvas
37. Print off all my blog books to the current year
38. Tattoo eyeliner
39. Get a new tattoo with a small design
40. Sleep under the stars one night

No comments: