Tuesday, July 16, 2013

a heavenly gift

June 10 was the day after our dog Shorty died (due to biting Kanyon's face twice). It was a tough day for our family (I blogged about it HERE). We were all sad and processing grief in different ways, and the feelings in our home that day were not good. The boys and I stayed inside pretty much all day, allowing the grief to swallow us up.

That evening, as I was putting Kanyon to bed, I looked out his window to find a bright orange sky. It looked similar to the skies we had last fall when huge forest fires were plaguing the nearby mountains, but this wasn't a result of any fire. The bright orange sky was a reflection of the sunset in some approaching storm clouds. I grabbed my camera, went outside, and started taking photos of the ever-changing evening sky. It was truly glorious to just behold.

The evolution from our backyard view:





The night sky from the view in front of the house:




By the time the sun had completely set, the storm had fully blown in. It was a lightning storm of great magnitude, and the lightning was so bright it completely lit up the sky. There were lightning flashes continually, and hardly any rain, so we got the boys out of bed and we sat on the porch watching the night unfold before our eyes. We remarked how Shorty hated lightning and thunder, and it felt like this was a blessing for this beautiful storm to come on the day after he was gone.

It was difficult to capture a photo of the beautiful lightning, but I have images that show just how bright the night sky was as a result:

Without lightning:

During lightning:

Without lightning:

During lightning:

Watching the beautiful night sky, and seeing the amazing lightning storm with my family somehow brightened the mood inside of me and my family. It felt like gift from God above. I felt like He was aware of how I felt and that He loved me, and I was filled with peace. The magnificent sky and storm was the best thing that happened that day. It was very healing for me, and I felt so much better afterwards when the storm had passed and it was time for all of us to go to bed.

1 comment:

birdeeb said...

Wow that's beautiful!