Monday, December 17, 2012

6th day of Christmas

On the 6th Day of Christmas: Movies

Every single year, we watch some of the exact same Christmas movies during the holiday season. Here's a list of our favorites:

The Christmas Story
It's a classic! We used to watch it a lot when I was a teenager too ,and my dad still laughs raucously when he watches it now! I often think of this movie when my boys want to go shooting, and I remember the red rider gun request always followed by the answer "You'll shoot your eye out, kid".

National Lampoons' Christmas Vacation
It does not feel like Christmas until we've watched Clark's Christmas disasters!!! We all laugh hysterically when we see it. This movie was funny when I was a kid, but it's even funnier now that I'm an adult! And I quote lines from this movie all year!

Elf
Will Farrell dressing up and singing always puts a smile on my face. The boys love this movie, and understand its humor so well! Buddy's usage of maple syrup is quite comical! The character is so naive and innocent, and it's a delight to watch this movie together as a family.

The Polar Express
When the boys were younger, they loved watching it because of the train and the elves. Now they like to quote that boy who was on the elves' screen on Christmas eve: "I didn't do it, I didn't do it, I didn't do it".

How the Grinch Stole Christmas
I like the older cartoon version of this movie, with the deep voice of the narrator and the music, and I feel like the animation is close to Dr. Seuss' creations. The boys prefer the newer version with Jim Carrey. They like the character Cindy Lu-Hu and the Grinch's dog.

Home Alone
My sister Tabbi gifted the Home Alone trilogy to my boys for Christmas a few years ago, and it's been a huge hit (they like to watch it several times during the year)! I love the music on the movies, and the boys love all the adventure. I love the friendships and cleverness, and the boys love all the bad guys being hurt. It's a win-win movie for all of us!!!

The Santa Clause
This is one of the Christmas movies that the boys will watch over and over, but it's not one of my favorites. Tim Allen is fun to watch, especially when he keeps getting bigger and his hair is growing white, and he can't shave his beard fast enough. And I like the elves at the north pole, and their interaction with Santa. I just don't like all the negativity and distrust and divorce aspect of the movie.

Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas
We always happen to watch this on the Disney channel around Christmas time when it's on, so I finally purchased this movie this year. I appreciate the simple stories and classic Disney characters.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
This is such an oldie, but a goodie, and I'm glad that it's on TV multiple times in the month of December so that we are able to see it.

A Charlie Brown Christmas
Charlie Brown is timeless. My boys love the classic humor in the Charlie Brown movies, and Snoopy always makes us laugh. Charlie Brown always finds a nice way to bring a lesson into a short movie instead of hitting you over the head with it, and I love the lesson of this movie: understanding the real reason for the season!

No comments: