Friday, December 9, 2011

Happy Birthday, Darling

After my fun birthday river rafting trip this summer, we wanted to up the anty and do something extraordinary for Josh's birthday in November, too. So, back in August, John, Amanda, and I began planning a trip to Boise to see a BSU game for his birthday. The only game that was going to work for us to go to was the game against TCU, and the cheapest tickets we could find were in the end zone, and they were $100 each. Josh did NOT want us to spend that much money on tickets. So, I decided to wait until a website opened up their site for selling tickets at a cheaper rate in September. By the time I got to that website on the date that the tickets opened up, they were completely sold out. So, we decided that we would still go to Boise, but we'd just go watch the game in a sports bar, and we could do other fun things while there, too. When November actually arrived, however, our schedules got all complicated, and it became apparent that the four of us (Josh, Amanda, John, and I) wouldn't be able to all go to Boise together. So, the week before Josh's birthday, we changed plans.

Josh's birthday was on a Monday, and the night of his birthday, he had meetings all night. We didn't celebrate at all on his actual birth date, except for singing to him that morning and telling him what we loved about him at the dinner table that evening. We didn't begin celebrating until Thursday. The boys gave him their gifts that evening: a yard gnome, pumpkin reese's, cologne, and summer sauge. Then I gave him my first gift: a steak dinner at a local restaurant.

On Friday, I got a babysitter, and I took him to Idaho Falls for an overnight retreat. We went to dinner at Chili's, and then got hour-long massages for two. I had never had an hour-long, full-body massage before but it was divine! Josh and I were in the same room, and it was so relaxing and peaceful! Then I took him to a themed Bed and Breakfast suite. We stayed in the Hawaii room, which was complete with a TV Projector and a giant screen, a jacuzzi tub, and a cascading ceiling shower. It was very nice!

On Saturday, we went to the Idaho Falls temple together. It was very peaceful and calming. We ate lunch at Costa Vida afterwards, and we did some shopping, too, where I bought him his last birthday gift from me: shoe racks for his closet!

On Sunday, it was his final day of birthday celebrations: I made him a pumpkin cheesecake, and he opened gifts from his parents. And even though his birthday wasn't what we had originally planned, we both had a great time! Working full-time afforded me the opportunity to do something great for him this year, which is the first time I've ever gone all-out for his birthday. I was glad for a chance to escape regular life overnight! And I think he enjoyed being treated like a king for a few days, too!

No comments: