Monday, December 19, 2011

2nd Day of Christmas Memories

The second Christmas I remember was the Christmas of 1985, when I was 6 years old. I only have a few vivid memories of it, and it's the only Christmas I ever had at my Grandma Perkins' house.

In August of 1985, our family moved from Lakewood, Colorado to Spokane, Washington. I loved living in Spokane! We lived there for 2 years, and I attended the first and second grades in an elementary school down the street from our home. I had several good friends that lived close by, and I played with them often. Another nice thing about living in Spokane was that we lived closer to my Grandma Perkins. Grandma and Grandpa had a home on Lake Couer d'Alene, which was only about an hour's drive from our house in Spokane.

My dad's sister Candi and her family lived in Boise, and the Christmas of 1985 they came to stay and celebrate it at Grandma and Grandpa's house on the lake. Because we lived so close, we joined them for the Christmas festivities, too. I only got to see my Aunt Candi and my Crouch cousins once or twice a year, and it was always a treat to be with their family because they were so fun! I remember all of us kids being downstairs in Grandpa's Den that Christmas, and I remember there was something on the big, old T.V. I remember feeling giddy and happy and laughing with my cousins. I could just feel the excitement of Christmas in the air!

I have no idea what gifts I received, or what we ate for dinner, or what was said...but I have never forgotten the joy that I felt that Christmas morning at Grandma's house celebrating with siblings, cousins, parents, and grandparents. Being with extended family on Christmas felt special to me, and that is what I remember the most about that particular Christmas.

No comments: