Monday, November 15, 2010

Twins & Twinners

One fun thing about having twins is dressing them in coordinated, complimentary costumes for Halloween. In years past, they've been famous partners: Batman and Robin, Mario and Luigi, Woody and Buzz, SpongeBob and Patrick. This year, they were common counterparts: a Cowboy and an Indian!!!
They decided weeks ago what they wanted to be. We already had all the cowboy accessories, so I just had to get Indian costume stuff. Out of all four boys, that's all I had to get for costumes this year! I thought it would be so easy, and I procrastinated. I figured we could just buy an Indian costume at WalMart when we went out of town. But, a week before Halloween, when we finally went out of town, WalMart had no Indian costumes available. So, after that, I shopped locally at Kings and Alco, but with no luck!!! I started to panic. I went to Rags & Wags, our local thrift shop, and there was NO Indian costumes in their Halloween section. I started to peruse all the clothing in the store. I found a dark brown shirt in the women's section with an orange-beaded collar that I thought might work, and I bought some dark brown pants to match. I brought it home, pinned it up, cut some fringe around the bottom of the shirt, and added a fabric belt. With the addition of some colorful feathers purchased at Kings (thanks, Gina for the tip!) taped to a headband and some painted stripes on his cheek, his costume was complete! And just in the nick of time--the night before his school party!! Whew! I thought they looked so cute together!
This year, Kanyon decided to be a fireman. At age 3 1/2, he's totally into firetrucks and fireman accessories lately. It was so cute seeing him all dressed up! He was so happy to be a little fireman, and it was the easiest costume for me to put together since we already had the hat in the dress-up box, the coat, and the boots!

And seeing Kanyon decked out as a fireman reminded me of when Ammon was one for Halloween when he was 2 1/2 years old. We call Ammon and Kanyon the 7-year-apart twins because they look so similar! Ammon used the same hat and boots, but I didn't have an official fireman coat back then, so I just used my red raincoat, pinned it up, and pinned some wide yellow ribbon to make it look better. And that Halloween was a super cold one, so he wore his thick coat underneath it!

I can't believe how quickly Ammon has grown up! 8 years have passed since that Halloween, and I don't know where the time has gone! It won't be long before he won't even want to dress-up for Halloween anymore, which makes me sad! This year, Ammon chose to be a hunter. He's now 10 and he can't wait to start hunting in a year and a half! His counter-part was going to be dad, who planned to wear brown and some head-band antlers and I was going to put a bullet-hole made from make-up on his head. Unfortunately, the night of the ward party when we were going to do it, Josh had another meeting to go to and it didn't happen. But Ammon was still a cute hunter! He so desperately wanted to take his BB gun with him to the Halloween parties and to go trick-or-treating, but I saw that as a safety hazard. I let him take pictures with it at our house, though!
Yes, that's a dead bird. No, he didn't shoot it. I think the cat killed it. Anyways...I told him he had to take fake guns and knives to all the parties and trick-or-treating instead, but he didn't want to; he was disappointed he couldn't take his BB gun. He also insisted on having his camouflage jacket zipped up the whole time, rather than showing the layers of camouflage he was wearing. So, for the most part, people thought he was an army man in his camo rather than a hunter. Which he blamed on me for not letting him take the BB gun around!!! Although, with the bright orange hat, I thought people would still figure it out!

This Halloween was the easiest costume-producing one yet with all of our boys! This was also the first year in a long time I didn't dress up myself! But I truly enjoyed every minute of the Halloween festivities with my four dressed-up boys!

1 comment:

Sunshine Designed said...

Loving the cowboy and Indian. Super cute!