Sunday, February 28, 2016

Week 8

{February 22 - 28}

Monday was my Grandpa Perkins' funeral in Farmington. Josh and I drove the boys down that morning from Tremonton. The viewing was at the funeral home from 11-12:30, but I needed to practice the songs with my sisters and the pianist early, so Josh dropped me off at 10:30 while he took the boys shopping and driving around for an hour. My friend Jackie lives in Farmington, and she agreed to play the piano for us. I was so grateful, and it was awesome to see her again! We practiced the songs for about 45 minutes, then talked to family members at the viewing and took a few different group photos before the funeral began at 1:00. It was a nice funeral--my uncles and dad spoke, and I sang with my sisters.


After the funeral, grandpa's burial was at the lovely Farmington cemetery with military honors.


It was cold outside while we were at the cemetery, so we didn't stick around for a long time. A large group of us (about 40) had lunch at the restaurant ParkStone afterwards. It was a nice meal, with a lot of chatting and laughter and you could feel the love in the air. It was a good end to the family get-together that day. Sunny sat right across from me, and made me laugh! She was so adorable!

The restaurant had crayons and coloring pages for kids. Sunny wanted me to draw
her a baby giraffe and a mommy giraffe. Josh didn't think they looked much
like giraffes, though. He said they resembled something else. I'm a terrible artist!! 

When we were done eating, it was 5:00. We had a long drive ahead of us, so we said our goodbyes and left the restaurant. We stopped at my mom's house on the way home to drop off a few things, change clothes, and use the bathroom. We were only there about 5 minutes, and got back on the freeway again. We stopped in Pocatello, where Josh's car was parked. He had meetings in Boise the next two days, so we left the car on the way down to Utah the previous day because it was much less driving this way than to drive all the way home together, and have him turn around and leave at 4am for Boise the next morning. The boys watched a movie as I drove the rest of the way home in the suburban, and after it ended they slept the last half hour. We got home around 10:30, which is about the same time that Josh reached Boise. The moon was so huge and bright that night, and I enjoyed looking at it on the drive, and when we reached home.  

It was hard to get back into the swing of things on Tuesday. I was tired all day from getting home late the night before, and I struggled going to sleep without Josh being home, so I didn't go to sleep until almost midnight. I missed Josh on Tuesday; I'm not the same when he's not with me.  

Wednesday night was busy, as usual. Kanyon had scouts after school as I taught a piano lesson and Ammon had community service. When we got home, I made a quick dinner of chili dogs (I've been craving them lately), and took Jonah and Micah to basketball practice. While they were at practice, I went to the SHS Music Swing Night fundraiser. Initially, I didn't think I would go since Josh wasn't home and I didn't want to go alone. Surprisingly, John asked me to dance with him during the swing instruction. I wasn't prepared for that at all, but I loved it. I've never been swung around so much, and so fast, and led with such force. It was fun! I left at 7 to pick up the twins, and that's when all the youth had their music performances. I'm sorry I missed that part, but I'm glad that I went! Josh got home about 10:30 that night. He'd had a great day going to meetings and golfing in Boise. He said it was so warm there that he golfed in a T-shirt!

On Thursday, Josh and Ammon went to Lost Trail for the last high school ski day. Josh drove the bus, and had a great day. It was very sunny, and he enjoyed going over to the Montana side for part of the day--something we usually don't do (the ski hill is half in Idaho and half in Montana). Ammon didn't have a great day, though. He crashed into a tree before lunch, and his leg hurt so much that he rested all afternoon in the lodge with an ice pack on his leg. Thankfully, his leg isn't broken, and within a few days, it felt better. 
Josh's view from the Montana side of Lost Trail

On Friday morning, Jonah and Micah left for the overnight Klondike Derby. They spent hours packing that morning and the previous night! They wanted to be over-prepared, especially after their experience last month when they went to an overnight campout in the snow, and came home frozen! They were actually hesitant about even wanting to go this time, because of that experience, but we assured them it would be different--there's more fun activities to do, and the weather would be warmer, and other kids from the stake would be there so it would be better.

Their scoutmaster texted me that afternoon with an image of the boys' snow cave they built to sleep in that night:

Jonah and Micah got home on Saturday afternoon, and had a pretty good time. They stayed a lot drier and a lot warmer this time around, and slept in that snow cave with Erik and stayed pretty insulated. Unfortunately, their scoutmaster's truck blew a tire on the way home, so they got home later than the other boys because they had to wait for someone to come back to get them after dropping off the other boys. I found out today that they were just two miles from our house when the truck broke down!!! I wish the scoutmaster had just called me, and I would've gone right away to pick them up! I was just home working on college stuff! Josh and Ammon worked at the golf course on Saturday morning together (Ammon's first day back this season to a paying job!). That evening, we went over to the Jackson's house for dinner and games. We ate yummy taco salad (or as Darcy calls them "stacks"), and then Josh and I played "Settlers of Catan" with Phil and Darcy while Ammon and Eli messed around with blow dart guns and Xbox games, and the twins and Kanyon watched a movie and played on the wii. Josh won the Settlers game (again), after playing for a few hours. We played the card game "golf" next and Phil's nephew Daniel joined us. I won that game! I told Darcy the next time they come to our house, we can play games and it will be their turn to win! We had such a great night altogether! It's always a fun time when we go to their house!

Today is Sunday. We slept in, went to church, ate dinner at Ed & Kathy's, watched Amazing Race (we love watching that show as a family!), and Josh and I took our weekly Sunday Siesta. Kerry and Zack came over tonight and had snacks and played games. We laughed so hard at the game of "Things", and in one round, I noticed Kanyon had written "I f***ing hate you" for the category "Things you don't shout out". That is a very appropriate thing to NOT shout out, but I explained that he shouldn't be writing that word if it's something we shouldn't say! I tried to give him alternate words to use that would be just as effective (like really, and freaking, and totally), but he said next time he would just write "f -star-star-star", which is why I wrote it that way in this paragraph. We always learn something new when we play "Things" with our children!!! After that game, we taught Kerry and Zack how to play the card game "Golf" (I've been craving that game for a while now). Having such a positive activity tonight was a great way to end our weekend!

No comments: