Sunday, February 28, 2016

Grandpa's Funeral

Grandpa's funeral was on Monday, February 22 at the Russon Brothers Mortuary in Farmington; the same place that Grandma's funeral was back in October of 2009. I got there a little early to practice the musical numbers with my sisters and the pianist before the viewing began at 11:00. We practiced for a while, and then visited and took photos with family before the funeral started at 1:00.
My sisters and I sang the opening song together.

Cousin Liz joined us in singing the middle song

Grandpa looked so good! And so peaceful. I am so happy for him.

The Crouch's: Ben, Nate, Jared, Chris, Uncle Keith, Liz

The Perkins kids: Mick, Lisa, Cody, Tabbi, Trina, Tawna, Kala

My dad conducted the funeral. My sisters and I sang "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need", one of my dad's favorite hymnals, as the opening song. Uncle Fred gave the life sketch, and cousin Jared shared a few memories of Grandpa. My sisters, Liz, and I sang the musical number "What is this thing that Man calls Death?". The words were written by Gordon B. Hinckley, and the music was written by Janice Kapp Perry. It was the song that the MoTab choir sang at President Hinckley's death, and I thought it was very fitting. Here's most of the last verse (with just the words "There is no end but only change" missing at the beginning of the clip):

Uncle Kieth spoke about memories with Grandpa, about being with Grandma and Grandpa when Aunt Candi died, and gave a religious message too. Dad was the final speaker, and spoke about some of the service that Grandpa gave throughout his lifetime. It was a nice funeral, and it lasted about an hour.

Mick, Cody, Josh, Chris, Jared, Ben, Nate, and Uncle Harold's son Lynn were the pallbearers.


When we got to the Farmington cemetery, the national guard carried the casket to its final resting place. 



Then they folded the flag--they had to do it twice because it wasn't exact the first time. It was fascinating watching them do it with such silent precision. Everyone in attendance had their eyes on the process the whole time.


I love the coat that Sunny is wearing: I wore it as a child, too!

I spy 3 of my boys back there. Kanyon was standing right in front of me, so he's
not visible. It was freezing and he didn't bring a coat, so I let him wear mine.

Aunt Jean, Grandma's sister, is the last sibling
alive of the 8 Rigby children. 


The guard did a gun salute with three volley shots.

This officer played taps to end the
 military honors portion of the burial. 

The folded flag was given to Uncle Fred. 
After a member of the guard gave Uncle Fred the folded flag, the pallbearers each placed their boutonniere on the casket. 



Uncle Vaughan (Grandpa's brother)

Introspective Dad and Uncle Vaughan looking on

My brother Mick gave the prayer to dedicate the grave site. People left shortly after because of the cold temperatures. I got a few photos before we left, though...
Uncle Fred and Dad

Fred, Mike, and Kieth

The Perkins/Crouch cousins: Mick, Cody, Nate, Chris, Lisa, Ben,
Kala, Trina, Tawna, Tabbi, Jared, Liz

Grandma and Grandpa's final resting place. Grandma
requested that she be on the side closest to the tree.

Tabbi had reserved a room at a local restaurant for us to eat at afterwards. A lot of us went there after the burial to eat before heading our separate ways.
My mom and dad both looked so nice.

The boys walking around in the "village" where the restaurant was located.



Aunt Beverly (Grandpa's sister) sat at the table on the far right.

To my left...

To my right...Dad talked to Aunt Marsha (Grandpa's sister) and her kids. 

Sunny sat right across from me during the meal.
She's a crack-up!

The kids' table


My chicken came in the shape of a heart...how fitting!

Having Grandpa's funeral at the same place, and the burial at the same place, and seeing so many of the same faces in the extended family that I haven't seen since Grandma's funeral was such a reminiscing experience for me. It gave me the desire to look back at the photos of Grandma's funeral, but I couldn't find any of them on my blog. Although I wrote about it back in 2009, apparently I never included any photos from it, so I'm going to now! Grandma and Grandpa were such an integral part of each others' lives for so long, it's only fitting that I share this post about Grandpa's funeral and include Grandma's funeral with it, too. 

The boys looking out the large windows in the
front of the chapel that overlook the valley



Sitting: Aunt Jean (Grandma's sister), Grandpa, Fred, Lore
Standing: Uncle Bill (Grandma's brother), Uncle Ole (Grandma's bro-in-law).

Dad announced the program at the graveside service

My sisters, Liz, and I sang the musical number "How Great Thou Art",
and were accompanied by one of Tabbi's friends on the harp.


Grandma's beautiful light-pink casket with the
pallbearer's red rose boutonnieres.

Dad let everyone pick a red rose to lay on the casket after the services.

Jonah was hesitant to put his rose on the casket because he was afraid
that he would fall in the hole. 

He finally did it when I held his hand to lead him to the casket.

Aunt Jean. I just love her!

my sisters and cousin Liz.

All my siblings together: Kala, Cody, Mick, Lisa, Tawna, Tabbi, Trina

My four handsome boys

The Perkins grandkids: Aspen, Libby, Jonah, Aspen, Micah, Kanyon, Abbie


Great Aunt Elaine (Grandpa's sister) and Uncle Fred.

Dad being introspective, holding the now-empty vase. 

We ate at Red Robin in Layton after the funeral services.

No comments: