Thursday, December 20, 2012

7th day of Christmas

On the 7th day of Christmas: Goodies

I tried something new this year for our Christmas goodies: fudge. In years' past, I've made cookies,  jams, applesauce, and other baked or canned items, but never fudge.

I made three kinds: pumpkin fudge, peanut butter fudge, and chocolate fudge. (This was the very first time I've made chocolate fudge, so I'm counting it as my new recipe for December, too.)

I admit it was more time-consuming than I figured it would be. Each fudge has to be stirred for so long, and then each fudge has to set up for a while. I only have so many glass dishes, so I had to wait for the fudge to set up before I could remove it from the glass dish and make another round. I had to make several rounds of each kind of fudge, so it took me 2 days to make enough fudge for the first two rounds of deliveries. I still have more fudge to make to complete one more round of deliveries. Josh & I made a list of neighbors and friends and family in Salmon, and it totalled 20 families. The list was divided into 3 groups based on areas that people live to assist us in time management in delivering them.

I ordered some cute boxes from Oriental Trading to carry the fudge in. They're little gingerbread houses that are the perfect size for holding fudge! For each group of deliveries, I put pieces of each kind of fudge in the boxes to coordinate with the number of people in each household. The twins and I did one round on Sunday night, we went as a family and did the biggest group on Monday night, and I have one round to do next week since I ran out of time this week...

I enjoy this time of year when we get unexpected visitors at our home bringing us goodies, and likewise I enjoy dropping by others' homes with small gifts as tokens of appreciation for what they've done for our family throughout the year.

No comments: