Thursday, December 22, 2011

5th Day of Christmas Memories

The next Christmas in my memory bank is the Christmas of 1989.

In the summer of 1988, we moved from Ogden to Tremonton, Utah. I attended 4th and 5th grade at the elementary school 2 blocks from our home. I liked living in Tremonton, because within 2 blocks of my house, there were 3 girls my age that I got to play with and go to school and church with.

In December of 1989 (my 5th grade year), the Chicken Pox was going around. I caught it during the last week of school before Christmas Break. I was so mad because I had to miss the 5th grade Christmas Program since I had to stay home taking baking soda baths to help relieve the itching that the Chicken Pox caused. I was the first member of my family to have the dreadful disease. By Christmas Eve, the last of the red marks disappeared from my body and I was able to celebrate the holiday itch-free.

On Christmas morning, we saw what Santa brought us, and we opened gifts. My favorite gift that year was from my Grandma and Grandpa Rose. Grandpa and Grandma are both so good at working with their hands; Grandpa was excellent at his hobby of carpentry and woodworking, and Grandma was amazing at crocheting and dollmaking. That particular year, Grandpa gave us little benches that he'd made and painted, and Grandma gave us beautiful hand-made crocheted dolls. My bench was white and my doll was blue (my favorite color). I still have both to this day: the doll is on display in my room, and the bench is currently used in Kanyon's room. After all the gifts were opened, I layed out all the presents I'd received around my bench, and I had my picture taken with the display. That began an annual tradition of taking my picture sitting on Grandpa's bench with all my Christmas gifts surrounding me.

Right after Christmas, my Chicken Pox spread like wildfire, and during the remainder of Christmas Break, all the rest of my siblings got it! My brother Cody had like 50 spots in one armpit alone. Everyone was miserable, and I felt validated: even though I missed my class Christmas Program at school, at least I could enjoy Christmas vacation without having the miserable pox!!!

3 comments:

darcymae said...

love all the pictures you've added!

Gina said...

Wow. Such a cute Kala. Look how young you are, I could just imagine if you had a little girl that is what she would look like. Cute picture Kala ;)

D'Neill said...

such a cute picture :)
I was thinking the same thing as Gina - what beautiful girls you would have had, but your boys are awesome. The chickenpox story was funny-I had chicken pox over summer break and I was so mad I couldn't miss school!