Saturday, March 19, 2011

MARCHing forward whether I like it or not

I don't like March.

As far as months go, I think it's ugly, boring, fickle, and I feel like it's somewhat of a liar, too.

It promises the hope of spring. It opens the door to spring, but only ever so slowly. It cracks a little, letting a bit of sunshine through, and then it swings open a little wider to let even warmer and brighter sunshine in, and I'm fooled into believing that it's open wide enough to enter into. But just when I take a step towards spring, believing that it's inviting me in, it turns bitter and cold and windy. It gets me every time.

And when the snow started melting, I was so excited for what was coming. I could imagine green grass and growing flowers and blooming trees. But when the snow finally all disappeared, all that was left was yucky brown and yellow grass, which unforunately this year is COVERED in deer droppings and mouse burrows. The lawn is super ugly, and now I don't know why I was so excited for what was beneath the snow. I think I preferred the snow-covered look to what's staring at me through my window now.
And since there's nothing besides St. Patrick's day to celebrate in March, there's nothing to look forward to. There's nothing to plan, nothing to do, nothing to really even decorate the house with. It's just super boring. For several years, we did our family goals on March 4th, because it is an action day (you know, as in "March Forth"). But this year, we did them in January instead of March. sigh.

Thankfully, this year, there was just one thing that saved the whole month of March from being black-listed in my mind. And that one special thing starts today. It's a gift to myself that I've been planning since November: today I'm going on vacation!

So here's to you, March! Even though you came in like a lion, and even though you've been uglier than I ever remember you being, and even though I don't like you, today is your chance to redeem yourself. Today I am going to go somewhere to soak up those rays of sunshine that you've been letting in, and I just hope that you'll be a good month and let me have my sunshine that I so desperately need, so that I can let you finish out what's left of your time in peace. Oh, and here's a little tip: going out like a lamb is SO in style right now!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Kayla,
Just wanted you to know I often enjoy looking at your blog. It kind of brings me home to my roots to remember Salmon and all the places I love. I admire your diligence at keeping up your blog and think you are a great writer. You really have a talent--or a lot of spare time on your hands, which I don't believe is the case with 4 boys to wrestle.