Thursday, November 4, 2010

Food, Glorious Food (chapter 5)

Chapter 5: CORN

We planted a lot of corn this year, and it grew really well. Last year, we grew corn in our garden spot as well as along the perimeter of the pumpkin patch. And last year, I got so busy in the fall that I never picked the corn from the pumpkin patch when it was ready. I picked the corn that was in the garden next to the house, but there was a ton more down in the patch, and by the time I got to it--it was too late. I wasted so much good corn last year, and I felt so bad about that! But, I was determined to not let it go to waste this year and since the corn was only in one spot, it was easier to not let that mistake happen again!

Due to the weather conditions this year, we thought the corn would never ripen. There was one night during the first week of September when everything froze. But, thankfully, that one night was followed by several weeks of nice, warm weather. It was during those last weeks in September when the corn finally turned yellow. The boys helped me pick the corn off the stocks the first weekend of October. This year's crop yielded 140 ears of corn!!!
That's a LOT of corn to shuck. Shucking corn isn't my most favorite activity. We had corn-on-the-cob for dinner 5 or 6 times, and each time we ate it for dinner, the boys helped me shuck. They actually LIKED doing it, too!
Unfortunately, the day I spent shucking and cooking and cutting and putting it in freezer bags, they were in school. So, on that day, I shucked 100 ears of corn all by myself. It was tedious and unpleasant and I think I was grumbling the whole time (if you grumble when nobody is around, does it mean it still happened? kind of like the question of if a tree falls in a forest and nobody hears it, does it still make a noise?) BUT, there was something positive to come out of all that unpleasantness: 20 bags of freezer corn! Yay!

The new recipe I tried this year with my home-grown corn was Corn Chowder. Yummy! I've never made so many different soups in all my life! I'm definitely venturing out this year, and surprisingly--soups are rather easy. I don't know why I was always afraid to try them in the past! The corn chowder was so delicious! In addition to using our own corn, I also put in our own potatoes and onions in the recipe. It's another recipe I've added to my "Keepers" recipe box!

Corn Chowder Recipe:

1. In pan, cook 6 slices bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and reserve 2 TB drippings. Drain excess fat and crumble bacon. Cook 2 chopped medium onions in drippings until tender.

2. Stir in 4 cups milk, 4 cups whole kernel corn, 3 cups chopped cooked potatoes, 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup, 1 t. dried crushed thyme, and 1 t. pepper.

3. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with bacon. Makes 8 servings.

2 comments:

Tawna said...

Loving all your goals lately! You are wonder woman!

Tiffany said...

All that stored food you have spent so many hours preparing is SO amazing!