Friday, December 13, 2013

Halloween 2013

The Costumes:
 
Jonah really wanted to be a Viking. He'd gotten a Viking helmet at a costume store in the spring, and wanted an entire outfit to go along with it. Of course, I couldn't find any costumes locally or at Walmart, so I decided to just make one. I got a brown shirt, a brown fabric bag, and a mask with fur on it at Rags & Wags (our second-hand store) to start with. Then I cut the fur from the mask into four pieces, sewed them onto the shirt's shoulders and a belt. Then I cut up the brown bag into two and sewed them into two leg wraps. I got some gold ribbons from my own supplies and sewed them onto the sleeves, the leg wraps, and the chest of the shirt. He also had a shield in our dress-up box. When we put it all together (and added a little makeup), it was a homemade Viking costume for only $2!

Micah really wanted to be a Zombie. He'd gotten a mask earlier in the year, and also wanted a complete outfit to go along with it. Thankfully, he was happy with one we've had in the Halloween costumes for years, so his costume was very easy to assemble!

Kanyon wanted to be a ninja boy. I was lucky enough to also find a karate top at Rags & Wags. We added a red handkerchief to his head, a black belt and some black pants that he already had to complete the costume.

 I dressed up in two costumes this year: one for the ward party and school carnival, and a different one to wear all day at school on Halloween. My first costume was a devil. We already had the cape and devil horns in the Halloween costume box. I just added black clothing and red lipstick.
 
My second costume was the color Pink. I had planned on wearing an all-pink outfit to go along with Pink's song that I would be singing in Salmon Idol, but I never got the chance to wear it in front of the audience. So instead, I just decided to make a Halloween costume out of it. I also painted my fingernails pink, wore pink pajama pants, put pink makeup on, and changed my teacher's tag to say "I am Pink". I got asked all day long what I was, and nobody really got it, but I loved it! I was comfy wearing the pajama pants to school, and everybody loved my pink hair! My friend Krissy also dressed up as a Pink crayon that day. Great minds think alike!!
 
The Ward Halloween Party
The ward's Halloween party was on the 23rd. It was our traditional party: chili & soups for dinner, carnival games for the kids, and trick-door-treating down the hallways afterwards. The boys all had a great time and were so happy to have their first round of buckets full of Halloween candy!
Jonah helping with the miniature golfing

Ammon helping with the football toss
 
The School Carnival
Instead of being on Halloween night this year, it was held on the 24th. It turned out to be a family event: I was in charge of a pumpkin-guessing booth the whole night, Ammon helped out with the twin's classroom game, the three younger boys were independent and did all the games and activities themselves, and Josh came and bought them dinner at it before taking them home when their tickets ran out. Since I was working the whole night, I didn't take a single photo of the boys playing at the carnival. 
 
The School Class Parties
The three younger boys had class parties on Halloween afternoon with food, games, and the school's costume parade. I kept going back-and-forth between both classrooms so I could capture them all during fun times.
Mrs. Born's 1st grade class party

 
Mrs. Baker's 4th grade class party
 


School Costume Parade
All the students in the school walks through the halls and in every classroom so that everyone in the school can see everyone else's costumes. It's a fun tradition!


(notice the breastplate on Jonah's costume?! We found that at D.I. for just $1 in between the ward party and Halloween. It was a great addition!)

Merchant's Trick or Treating
 On Halloween evening, the stores on Salmon's Main Street host a merchant's trick-or-treating. All the kids walk on the sidewalks, and at the storefronts, employees hand out candy to all the trick-or-treaters.


We see lots of others in the process, too, which makes it even more fun! Kanyon met up with a fellow karate kid:


And we caught up with our friends the LaMont's and their family, and we trick-or-treated alongside them for a half hour, which the boys just loved!



I just love this awesome event! We live out in the country, so it takes forever to go trick-or-treating at houses, and the boys never get as much candy. But, they get an entire bucketful for just walking one hour down both sides of main street!

We had a great Halloween this year, and I liked how it was spread out over a one-week period, because it was more opportunities for the boys to wear their costumes, and it wasn't as stressful!

No comments: