Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I am addicted to...

...CASSEROLES!!!

I make them all the time. I love that they incorporate multiple food categories into one dish. I find that casseroles are something that all my boys will eat, and the main dish is so filling and usually includes ingredients that they sometimes wouldn't eat if they were served separately. These are the most common ones made and eaten in our home: Tater Tot Casserole, Tater Tuna Casserole, Soft Taco Bake, Shepherd's Pie, Tortilla Beef Bake, Tuna Noodle Casserole, Pork Noodle Casserole, Fries & Beef Bake, and Western Chili Casserole. One of my sisters suggested once that I put all my casserole recipes online, and perhaps someday I will. But today, I'm starting with just one; a new one...

One of my goals for 2012 is to make one new recipe a month. In June, I tried a recipe called Spaghetti Casserole. I've never eaten spaghetti in the form of a casserole, and I can't believe I haven't! I like it better than the regular way of just noodles with sauce & meat on top. I'm so in love with eating spaghetti this way, that I've already made this casserole twice since then! It is definitely comfort food, and is so easy to make and satisfying to eat, too! The boys agree that it is a delicious meal coupled with cheesy garlic bread.


SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE

Ingredients:
Spaghetti Noodles (I used half the 16 oz bag of thin noodles & broke the lengths into thirds)
1 lb. hamburger (I've also used 1 1/2 lb.)
1 can corn (I used a bag of freezer corn from our garden; drain the corn if you used canned)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (I've used varying brands, with no real taste difference between them)
1 can rotel (I used a can of diced tomatoes instead because it was in my pantry)
grated Cheddar Cheese (I used an 8 oz. bag of shredded cheese)

Instructions:
Cook noodles in boiling water, and drain.
Brown the meat.
Mix all the ingredients together EXCEPT the cheese.
Put in a 13x9 pan. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes. Serves 8-10 people.

1 comment:

darcymae said...

i'm actually not a huge fan of casseroles but i do make them every once in a while. i made a really yummy one a few days ago...http://livinglight58.blogspot.com/2012/03/trying-something-new.html...you should try it! also, get on pinterest! there are lots of good recipes there!