Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Love, My Valentines

The week of Valentine's Day was a crazy one for me.
On Monday morning the 13th, Josh left for 2 nights to Boise for work meetings. He helps me so much around the house and with the boys, and I miss him tremendously when he leaves.

I took Kanyon to the babysitter in the morning on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and picked him up on my lunch hour each day to take him to preschool.

On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, my 5th grade students were performing their "Rockin' to the Oldies" program twice each day, so I was super busy with preparations and with their shows in the mornings and afternoons.

On Monday night, for Family Home Evening, I had the boys each write cards to their brothers and attach a candy of their choice to them because Valentine's Day was the following day.

Valentine's Day is a special holiday for me, and since Josh was gone this year for it, I had hoped that he would remember it would be happening in his absence. I looked all over the house for a secret note or a gift he left behind for me, but I couldn't find any. I thought he had forgotten, so I was sad on Tuesday morning. That same morning one of my 5th grade classes had a not-so-good performance, so I was down about that, too. But during my lunch hour, the secretary at the school informed me that I'd received some flowers, and it totally made a difference in my day. Josh HAD remembered after all! And the card was written in his handwriting, so I knew that he had remembered it before he ever left for Boise. The flowers were so beautiful!

That afternoon, Jonah and Micah's class had their Valentine's party. Each student was required to bring a home-made invention for their Valentine's box. Micah really wanted a Spongebob one, so I took a yellow Golden Grahams box after we finished eating the cereal, cut off the lid, and painted a Spongebob face on it.

Jonah had no idea what he wanted, so I looked for items around the house that could be used. It took a week to figure out what we wanted to do, but we finally decided upon a snowman. I took an old Halloween bucket, spray painted it blue, then painted a layer of white over it. I took an ice cream bucket lid and cut the edge off to fit over a cookie dough container, then spray painted it all black. Then I cut a hole in the bottom of the cookie dough container, and glued it upside-down onto the white halloween bucket as a hat. Then I painted on a black mouth, an orange carrot nose, and glued 2 buttons as the eyes to finish the look.

Both boys liked their inventions, and they had fun during their class party!

On Tuesday night, the boys hid their valentines for their brothers around the house, and we took turns searching each room to find the hidden valentines. They liked reading what their brothers said about them, and eating the candy. We also opened the Valentine's package that my mom sent.

On Wednesday night, I had to be in 3 different places within one hour, and I didn't know how I was going to do it. But thankfully, Josh's meetings ended early, and he came home on Wednesday evening instead of Wednesday late night, and he helped me chauffer the kids again.

I was SOOOO happy to have him back! I sure love that man; he proposed to me on Valentine's Day 14 years ago, and I'm more in love with him now than ever!  

1 comment:

Trina said...

That's so weird that I was Kanyon's age when you guys got engaged! I still remember dress shopping for your wedding, and how I wanted a yellow shirt to go under my dress but settled for purple, haha.