Tuesday, December 1, 2009

1st Day of Christmas - Linette

Introducing...LINETTELinette is Josh's aunt. She is married to John, who works in the golf industry as a fertilizer salesman & consultant. It is because of John that Josh has his job. When we got married, Josh worked for a lawn care company. After 3 years in that job, John informed him of the golf course superintendent job opening in Salmon, and we've been here ever since. We will always be grateful to uncle John for informing us of the opening that has afforded us the opportunity to live in Josh's hometown of Salmon.

I first met Aunt Linette when Josh and I were engaged. We were living in Utah at the time, and we drove to Eastern Idaho to see Josh's grandpa get an award. We spent the night at Linette and John's house because their daughter was getting baptized the next morning. Not only was she very welcoming to me, but she also had a great sense of humor, a fun attitude, and a generous heart. I immediately liked her, and was thankful for the chance I had to meet Josh's extended family before we got married.

The first couple years of marriage were hard for us. We were young and immature and had so much to learn about ourselves, each other, and marriage. After 6 months of marriage, we got into some big fight (I have no idea now what it was about!). I decided to leave for a few days and calm my emotions and straighten my mind out. I didn't tell Josh I was leaving. I wanted him to miss me and be sorry about whatever we were fighting about. I packed up while he was at work and headed for someplace far from home, but where I could feel rejuvenated. I thought of Aunt Linette. I drove the 2 hours to her house and stayed there for a few days.

She was so sweet to take me right in. She made me feel loved and she listened to me and offered her understanding and support. I enjoyed spending a few days with her family. One day we spent burning the leaves in a garden fire. One night she took me to a haunted house with her. We spent time talking and doing errands and taking care of household chores. It was so wonderful for me. I appreciated her thoughtfulness and her kindness. I don't even remember the ending to the story with Josh--I can't remember if I ended up calling him and letting him know where I was or if I finally came home and surprised him with my presence, but I do remember that the retreat to Linette's house was just what I needed.

I love Aunt Linette and Uncle John. I love her delicious food (especially her homemade raspberry jam), I love her beautiful smile and her laugh, I love the goodness of her heart, I love her ability to give so much of herself to others, I love her courage to press forward through difficult times, I love her sweet spirit and the example that she is--she's a wonderful mother and an excellent friend. Thank you Aunt Linette for being a great role model for me and for always being there for me in times of need through the past 11 years!

2 comments:

EmWJ said...

If you're doing what I think you're doing, then what a delightful blog idea! I'm excited to virtually get to know the inspiring people around your life!

Franson Funny Farm said...

We were actually talking about that trip to the haunted farm (I think it was the Fright Farm) at Halloween. I was telling the kids about it and your reaction to the "outlaw" who greeted us as we stepped out of the van. That is the only time I have ever been to a haunted place & I'm glad you were with us.
Thanks Kala!
P.S. If my memory serves me correctly you did call Josh after a day or so & let him know where you were. :)
Love you guys!!!!