Sunday, August 28, 2016

Week 34

{August 22-28}

Monday - Josh and his employees (including Ammon) aerated greens at the golf course (the twins even helped out with raking cores early that morning until they went to the a.m. XC practice). It was a horrible and very long day for Josh; the tines on the aerator kept breaking, and he didn't have enough replacement ones, so after they all ran out he started using some older tines but they also broke, then the hitch pulling the sander broke. He was behind schedule all day, and it was a super tiring and stressful day for him.


Tuesday - I judged some of the open exhibits at the fair for my 3rd time and really enjoyed it. There were less entries this year, which was a little sad, but there were some awesome entries, too! Our family actually didn't enter anything in the fair this year, because our veggies haven't been too successful and we didn't think to cut any pumpkins in time to let them turn orange, either. Hannah came over in the afternoon to hang out for a while before leaving with the boys for evening XC practice. I went to a staff get-together at the Wilkins home that evening to welcome the new principal and some of the new employees. I stayed for a few hours and had a much funner time than I'd anticipated having! I really like the new principal, and I loved the casual setting, chatting informally with other staff members, and all the delicious food.


Wednesday -  Kanyon had his last day of CrossFit Summer Classes. Abby's dad picked him up and dropped him off, which was so nice! He had a good time; it was a nice change of activity for him from his regular daily regime. I worked on my college class all day, and submitted my final project for the Applications of Language Arts Instruction class. Family Fun Night at the fair was that evening, and I helped for an hour with the beer goggles kid station. It was funny to watch them try to maneuver around the obstacles with the goggles. I loved seeing some of the kids from school and being welcomed so freely and receiving lots of hugs! Josh and I walked around to look at the booths after Kanyon had gotten his fill of going on the inflatables. We got a scone and some ice cream from the hospice booth to end the night.
Kanyon demonstrating how to walk in the
obstacle while wearing beer goggles.


Thursday - I got my college project returned back to me with the request to make a few minor corrections; I did and resubmitted it. It was accepted--which means I completed another class. I've only got a few left this semester before my pre-clinicals and student teaching begins! When Josh came home from work that afternoon, he and I worked together to empty the contents in his shed and transfer them to the newly-finished garage. In the process, we found 3 jumpy mice and I screamed every time I discovered one (I don't mind snake or spiders, but mice are a different story; however, it's the opposite for Josh! He hated that I kept screaming over the tiny mice, but he reacts the same when he sees a snake!). Then we decided to move the shed to its new home in the backyard. Josh thought we could just pick it up and move it the 100 yards ourselves by hand, but I told him we should put it on the small flatbed trailer and drive it over. He thought it was a ridiculous suggestion, but after he tried lifting it, and the walls started separating from the base, then he suddenly thought my idea sounded a whole lot better! It was a little tricky, but we got it up on the trailer by putting 2x4s under it to give it something to slide on. Unloading it was a little more difficult, but by the time we were doing it (dusk), the boys were just coming home from practice, and with some pushing and pulling (and some cursing too) from all of us, we got it situated just right.
Sometimes I have good ideas--like how to move a shed! ;)


Friday - The Boys' had their first XC meet of the season in Rexburg. Josh drove the bus to it. Kanyon and I drove down to go shopping before the race, and actually passed the bus when it was at a pit stop for the kids to use the bathroom. Kanyon was so patient as I tried on clothes at D.I. Then we treated ourselves to some ice cream (it was a hot day!), and drove to the race which was at the Rexburg Rapids park. They ran the race differently than we're used to: they separated the kids into age groups, rather than by varsity, JV, and middle school and had 10 races overall. The junior high ran just over a mile, and the high school ran 2 miles (instead of their traditional 3.1). It was very spectator-friendly, though. Micah had a phenomenal race and was the first runner for our time in his age group. He placed 20th. Jonah also had a good first race, and ran the whole time near some other Salmon boys. Ammon was also the first runner for our team in his age group, and he had a great finish--taking 22nd overall. After our 3 boys ran, I took Kanyon to dinner and to see the movie "The BFG". We'd read the book over the summer, and I told him I would take him to see the movie when it came to the theater as his reward for reading it, but unfortunately it never came to the Salmon. We had to drive to Idaho Falls to see it, but he really enjoyed it, so it was worth it! We got home after 11:00, about an hour later than the rest of the boys did.
Ready for their first race!



Micah is a strong finisher!

Jonah is battling it out at the finish!

Isn't he so cute?!


He gave it his all at the finish!



Saturday - I emptied my shed and carried one load at a time to unload into the garage. Things that have been stored in our sheds (which were full to the max, btw) since the garage construction began in June were finally where they were all supposed to be! Josh helped me take a load to the dump of excess items and garbage that have been piling up, and it was such a great feeling to have everything looking clean and organized! Ammon, Jonah, and Micah went to the fair and rodeo that evening and they took the Simmons kids with them. They were also a little disappointed in the fair's minimal activities and entries this year, but they had fun at the rodeo. I had my last movie night of the summer with Jen at our house that night. We watched one of my old favorites: "Speechless". Josh surprisingly even watched it with us, which made me super happy!
This is now a parking spot south of the garage
(where the bike shed and Josh's shed used to be) 

"Josh's" shed is now at the corner of the dirt pile next to the lawn.

All the extra yard toys, lawn mower, and yard tools are
stored inside it.

"My" shed is now in the circular pasture area to the south of the garage where
we park the trailers. 

Inside it are seasonal outdoor items: pumpkin patch supplies,
pool and lake floating devices, skis, and sleds.

This is a view of the north wall of the garage from the walk-in door.
We will be parking a car in the north bay during the winter months.

A view of the south wall of the garage from one of the overhead doors.

I love this new spot in the garage (between the doors)
 for the boys to change into their irrigation boots!!
Because it means these boots are no longer
cluttering the floor of our narrow utility room. 



Sunday - We spent the afternoon lazily hanging out, which was glorious! I love taking Sunday siestas; I fell asleep on Josh's lap for a while that afternoon, and he even put up with me snoring for a few minutes and didn't disturb me! I love that man! Jonah and Micah changed pipe for the very last day of the summer. They've done a great job for Grandpa this year, and he was so impressed with their commitment and level of responsibility in helping him out on the ranch.

No comments: