Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Life's Little Lemons

I'm annoyed.

Little things keep irritating me, and I have no one to talk to about them, which makes it worse for me, then everything starts turning into bigger and bigger things, and I don't want to have a meltdown, so I will just vent on here. I don't normally like using my blog to vent, but vent I will; about nonsensical stuff in life that doesn't really matter, except that it kind of does a teensy tiny bit today--well, it matters just enough to make me feel all annoyed and want to talk about it.

So yesterday, when Josh came home from work I listened to him vent about how terrible his day was, and how all the rough mowers at his work are broken down, and how things weren't going as planned. But did he once ask about my day? Nope. Otherwise, I would've shared with him that I finally got the last lessons finished in the online science class that I've been working on non-stop for the last two and a half weeks, and I was so proud of myself for finishing all the work. But I had no one to tell my happy, worked-hard-for, news.

And then last night at soccer, I decided to watch Jonah and Micah play their game for the first time all season. It's the first time I've watched them play because I coach Kanyon's soccer team, and Kanyon's soccer games have ALL been at the exact same time as the twins' games all season long! And since it's the last week of soccer, I felt like I should watch my older boys play, too. So I told my co-coach that I wouldn't be helping out this game, and I brought my camera with me so I could take pictures of my boys playing, and of course halfway through the FIRST quarter, my camera battery starts blinking at me and it dies. I was so annoyed--especially because I haven't brought my camera to take pictures any other games because my memory card was full, and I finally got around to buying a new one, and my battery failed me!! I love taking action shots of the boys playing sports, and it usually takes me all season long just to get one or two perfect pictures, and I only had one game to do it, and my battery began dying during the first quarter!! Their coach said, "Oh, just use your phone's camera", but I don't have a smart phone. I have a dumb phone, and action shots are out of the question for its small-minded capacity (as evidenced by the picture at the end of this post). All 3 of my boys playing soccer last night scored goals! I was so happy for them; I just don't have a single pic of it happening.

Then this afternoon, I was ready to take my college class final exam, but I have to do it at a place that has better internet, because the internet at our house out here in the country just sucks. It's super slow, and unreliable. So I went to the elementary school to take the proctored exam because the internet is so much better there, but the door was locked and I don't have a key. So I walked around the building looking in the windows until I found the janitor to let me in, and as I was walking back around to the front, I stepped on a rusty nail that was left from the construction project last summer when the school's roof was re-done. The nail went all the way through my flip-flop shoe and into the bottom of my foot. The pain was instantaneous, and I yelled "Son of A" (that's all, though, no words after that), and pulled the rusty nail out. Then I walked on my painful and bleeding foot back to the door where she let me in, and I washed off the bottom of my foot and took my test, which was super hard, and I can't believe I PASSED it!! That's one super duper awesome thing about today, which balanced out all my feelings of irritability for all the other stupid stuff. Tomorrow I will have to get a tetanus shot. Boo.

When I was done taking the test, I wanted to come home and share the great news with Josh, but he wasn't here. So instead, I put it on facebook. He came home 20 minutes later, and said to me "So you passed your test? I didn't remember you were taking it today" (he'd obviously seen my facebook post). And that was all he said. He didn't ask me how the test went, or what my score was, or congratulate me, or even express any happiness for me. He always does that--whenever I do something awesome that I'm proud of, he completely ignores that it happened or says something negative. I said to him "You probably didn't remember that it was going to happen today because you never asked me about my day yesterday". To which he replied "Did I even see you yesterday?". Ugh.

This afternoon, I worked on a musical project that ended up being much more difficult than anticipated. I was asked to do the campfire songs at our ward's young women's camp for two nights. Last night was the first night I did it, and tonight was the last night I had to do it. There was one song that I wanted to include in my program tonight, but I was having technical difficulty with obtaining it. The song isn't on iTunes, so I couldn't just purchase it and take the iPod like I did last night (I don't have an iPod, but my son let me borrow his yesterday). The song that I wanted to include in tonight's program is on Youtube, but there is no internet at the camp, so I knew I had to download it first. I downloaded it, but the music copied over with the video attached to it, so it didn't download as just an MP3 song. I then recorded it onto a DVR-R disc, but my portable CD player wouldn't play it. So then I recorded it again onto a CD-RW disc, but the portable CD player I was going to use tonight still wouldn't recognize it. I didn't have any CD-R discs, so I told my husband I would just take his laptop to the camp, and it could play the music video for me, but his laptop doesn't have a disc drive. I can't take my laptop because the battery life has died, and it no longer works unless it's plugged in, and since there's no outlets at camp, that wouldn't have worked either. I texted a lady who I know has the song, to see if she would email me, but she never responded. So, I drove to town (my 3rd trip to town today, ugh) and bought some CD-R discs, but when I returned home with them, because of the way the video is embedded with the audio, it wouldn't record onto the CD-R disc. So, I had to download a version of software onto my laptop that would separate the video from the song, then I was FINALLY able to record it and use the song on a disc in my portable CD player. That whole process took two hours, and was SOO aggravating. All that work for a single song. It's kind of like the parable of the lost sheep. That song was worth it, or at least I felt like it was . But I did have a good time singing with the girls around the campfire both nights, and I was glad I had the opportunity to do it.

Since Josh is obviously not interested in anything I do or say lately, I racked my brain this afternoon, trying to think of who else I could talk to that would even care. I called my friend Krissy, but she didn't answer the phone. My friend Amanda is gone to young women's camp, so she has no cell service, so she couldn't answer even if I called (and when I went to camp, we were too busy singing and talking to the youth to discuss trivial stuff like my life). My friend John is on vacation with his family, and I felt like it would be an inconvenience to bother him with my venting. It's times like this where I feel like I need a bigger friend circle (thank goodness for facebook and the blogosphere, right?!). Obviously, the fortune gods agree, because a few weeks ago, I got this in my Chinese fortune cookie:
See how terrible my dumb phone is at taking pictures?
It can't even handle a holding-still photo without turning it all blurry.

1 comment:

MikeS said...

What about those little bits of good news, like the fact that we are coming up for a week in August?