Friday, March 13, 2015

Superbowl 2015

Superbowl XLIX (there's always an opportunity to explain Roman numerals to the children at Superbowl time!) was on Sunday, February 1. The two teams playing this year were the Patriots and the Seahawks. Ammon and Jonah both love the Patriots, so they were especially excited that their team was playing in the big game! We invited the Tarkalson family to join us that afternoon. We love having them over on Superbowl Sunday! This was the 4th time they've come over for the Superbowl, so it's pretty much an annual tradition now! 

We spent the afternoon watching the game, eating lots of yummy food, and talking. And since our kids are all similar or the same ages as each other, they all play really well together, too, which is a bonus when their family comes over! There was a TON of yummy food (because what's a Superbowl party without great food?!). Ashley brought all the fixings for nachos, brownies, and pop. And I sort of went crazy on the finger foods: I made muddy buddies, peanut butter fudge, ham-wrapped pickles, BBQ little smokies, deviled eggs, and cheesecake-filled strawberries. I loved the variety; unfortunately, I couldn't eat any of it due to my painful Strep throat, so I just had warm tea instead (insert big frowney face here). It's a good thing the Superbowl wasn't one day earlier, because I would've had to cancel the party all together since I'd felt like I was on death's doormat the day before! But thankfully, I was feeling slightly better on Sunday: I actually got out of bed, and was productive by making all the food for everyone else to eat (I promise I washed my hands frequently, and since nobody else got sick, I know that worked). 
most of the food spread

watching the game on our new BIGGER screen TV
(Josh's Christmas present to himself)

a great bunch of kids: Ele is surrounded by boys all the time!

Before the game starts, we all write down which team we think will win, and what we think the score will be. It was an awesome game this year (but the commercials were disappointingly just so-so), and the half-time show with Katy Perry was outstanding (of course). It was exciting and close, and ultimately the Patriots won 28-24 (which is why Jonah is PROUDLY displaying a Patriots jersey in the above photo, because it was right after the game ended!). Ammon won the prize of a bag of chocolate for guessing the correct winning team with the closest score. 

I love this annual tradition! I don't particularly care about football, but I like getting together with friends, so Superbowl has become so much more enjoyable for me since the Tarkalson's have started coming over for it!

No comments: