Friday, October 31, 2014

You're gonna hear me ROAR!

I just love Katy Perry. I am a big fan! I love her songs, her costumes, the variety in her song topics and music tempos, and I love her outgoing personality! When I found out earlier in the year that her concert tour included a stop in SLC in September, I knew I wanted to go! I purchased the tickets in February, and looked forward with much anticipation for the end of September to come!!  

The concert was on Monday night of Sept. 29. We left Salmon about noon, because we both worked that morning. We drove to Tremonton, and stopped briefly to visit with my parents. Then we drove to Bountiful and ate dinner at Costa Vida. We still made it to Salt Lake City about an hour before the concert began! We got a good parking spot, and found our seats inside. Our seats were in the upper section again, but I didn't get the cheapest seats this time, so we had a decent spot in the lower half of the center section. The stage was directly in front of us, which was awesome!

As we waited for the show to begin, we liked people watching. There was a lot of people that dressed up like Katy Perry for her concert, which was fun! It made me wish I had, too!! We have never been to a concert with SOOO many little girls in attendance! I think half of the audience was little girls! It was a lot! There's apparently a girl fan club called "Katy's Kittys", and most of the girls in the audience wore cat ears as a symbol that they belong to the club. Who knew?! (not me) Also, for her Prismatic Tour, everyone in the audience received free prismatic light glasses. I only wore them during two of the songs, but it was a fun addition to the show!

There were two opening acts before Katy came on stage. The first one was some guy who I can't remember how to pronounce his name. He was weird. And the bright lights that he had going during two of his songs shone directly into our faces, which was super annoying!
the bright light forced us to look away!
The second opening act was Tegan and Sara, and they were alright. The only song of theirs that I recognized was "Everything is Awesome". That song was also the only reason I've ever even heard of them before, and recognized their names.

At 9:00, Katy came on stage out of a giant pyramid that opened up with her inside. The crowd went wild!

She performed for almost two solid hours, singing 23 songs, and changing her costume 10 times. She was a terrific performer! I enjoyed every second of her show! I cannot believe how incredibly coordinated all of her songs, clothes, props. dancers, microphones, lights, videos, and special effects are! I was seriously in awe the entire time! I couldn't stop taking photos of what was happening in front of my eyes! I knew I wouldn't be able to explain to people who asked "how the concert was", so I tried to document it through the lens instead...

 Her first song was one of my favorites: "Roar". I just love this song! She wore a glow-in-the-dark outfit, and the dancers all had bold and colorful outfits, too.

She stayed in the same outfit for the next few songs. For "Part of Me", the lights went out, and you could see all the glowing parts of her costume, and they used glowing jump ropes, too.

I put my prismatic glasses on for the song "Wide Awake", because there was a lot of colorful lights constantly moving during it.

I'd never heard her next two songs before: "This Moment" and "Love Me". They were sentimental and moving.

The next song was Josh's favorite: "Dark Horse". She came out on a large horse that was moved by two men inside. She wore an Egyptian outfit, and the dancers all did, too. It was awesome!


"Dark Horse" moved right into the song "E.T.". Everyone still wore their Egyptian clothes, but instead of the horse, there were some acrobats that moved on a giant metal prism. It was fascinating to watch the 3 acrobats move on it, and the prism changed directions with their movement. Then at the end of the song, they lifted Katy on to it as well.

Then she sang another song I'd never heard before "Legendary Lovers", and she and her Egyptian dressed dancers acted out a scene. Then it went into "I Kissed a Girl", and the dancers came out wearing big curvy girl costumes. They cracked me up!

She came out next wearing a giant cat costume for "Hot n Cold", which was kind of weird, but all of her kitty fans loved it! The little girls in the audience were screaming wildly when she first came up out of the stage on a large ball of yarn.


Then she started the song "International Smile", and she, along with all the other cat dancers, played and danced on a giant cat condo, then they put on giant cat items like food and toys and walked around the "catwalk". It was so over-the-top silly, but she is able to make it appear so cool and awesome!



Then an enormous sunflower canopy came down, she left for a costume change, and the whole environment changed from silly to spiritual, and she sang "By the Grace of God".

She was a fabulous performer, and would take breaks once in a while from singing to talk to the audience. At one point, she took someone's cell phone and got a selfie of her with the crowd, which was so fun! Then at another point, she pulled up a little 10-year old boy and gave him a pizza and talked to him. She asked him who his favorite singer was, and he didn't say a word. The whole audience burst into laughter! Then she explained that she is now on a gluten-free diet, and she can't eat pizza crust anymore, so she told him to enjoy the pizza, and she began to sing "The One That Got Away" which was meshed with " Thinking of You".

Then for her next song, the dancers brought out giant fabric butterflies, and flew them around as she sang "Unconditionally". It was so beautiful, I teared up! It's another one of my favorites of hers!


Then she changed clothes again, and the mood went from spiritual to fun. Her next song was "Walking on Air". Josh loved her outfit for this one! She sang and danced on stage with her neon dancers, and then she got lifted into the air as a giant sheet of silk covered the air.


She sang "It Takes Two" next, and I liked how her 69 dress transformed from the floor up. As she was raised up from a platform, the yin/yang dress got larger.

When the song was over, and the platform went back down, she was magically back in her smiley outfit, and some large inflatables were brought out on the ground level of some of the icons used in the music video "This is How We Do".

The song "This is How We Do" was also mashed up with the song "Last Friday Night", during which they drove around the stage in a large inflatable car.


Then she changed clothes once again, and for the song "Teenage Dream", she donned a fluorescent green leaf skirt and bright yellow socks, and a leopard print top.

For "California Gurls", giant neon light-up letters were rolled on to the stage to make different words, and it eventually spelled the word "Hollywood".


Then the concert ended, and the lights went out, and the audience got super loud, and she came back out again with 2 encore songs.


The first was "Birthday", which halfway through, there was a large break, and she pulled someone onto the stage whose birthday was that day. She talked to him for a few minutes, then finished singing the song as the platform he was on became a giant birthday cake, and she was pulled into the air by some balloons on a wire.




The final song of her concert was another one of my favorites "Firework". I had been waiting the whole concert to hear this, and was so glad that it was her finale number!!!



Katy Perry in concert was spectacular! I was so glad we went! It was well worth the cost of the ticket, and the drive down and back!!!

When the concert was over, we drove back to my parents' home in Tremonton to spend the night. We got there after midnight, and went straight to bed. We woke up the next morning early, and drove back to Salmon by 11:30am, because Josh and I had to both work that afternoon. It was a whirlwind trip, but an unforgettable and memorable one!

No comments: