Friday, October 10, 2014

River Rafting

I was given an awesome gift this summer: the gift of a free half-day professional float down the Salmon River on a Friday in September.

I was SOOO excited when I was informed! I'd floated this stretch of the river once before on my 30th birthday years ago, and I was so grateful to have the opportunity to do it again!

The float was a fundraiser for the Lemhi Education Project (LEP). I have been a spokesperson for this group as they've requested funding. I've spoken about my experience with them, and the need in Salmon for the type of services they provide. Last fall, I knew it was time for me to go back to college, but I had no idea where to even start or what to do. I went to this group, talked to the director about what degree I was looking for and what kind of a college experience I was interested in, and requested help. The director gave me information about two different universities that would be a good fit for me. I am so grateful for her help! I am now enrolled as a student at Western Governor's University and it is such a good match for me. LEP has also helped me in proctoring tests before, which is so beneficial because they are currently the only ones in Lemhi County that can, and since my internet at home is so terrible, this has been a beneficial resource for me. It is because of my public speaking for LEP that I was gifted the chance to go on the float trip for free! And for me, that's just one more bonus why I appreciate LEP being a part of our community!

The day before the float, another gal that has also been a spokesman for the group, called and told me that she was unable to go on the float trip, and offered me her ticket to go if I knew of someone that wanted to come along with me. Josh and Ammon couldn't go because they would be gone to a cross country meet (Josh drove the bus), Amanda couldn't come because she was working, so I asked my friend Kerry because she's never floated the river before. I was so glad for the chance to have a friend along with me for the river trip, because other than the director, I had no idea who else would be going.  

Our trip was Friday, September 12. It was the last Friday before our school started, and I'd been working on a hard college class for weeks, so I was super happy to have this little reward for myself. It couldn't have come at a better time! 

Kerry and I met at Idaho Adventures that morning, along with 9 other riders. I'd met a few of them before, but I didn't know a majority of our group. We were shuttled down river to our get-in location. We took a tour of an old gold mine first, which was interesting. Then we were given the choice of which boat we wanted to be in: the one that we'd have to paddle in, or the one where we don't have to paddle as much because the guide did most of the paddling. Kerry and I chose the paddling boat. Our guide was Mark Troy, and we had a fun boat! We laughed so much! It was a beautiful day out, and we enjoyed being on the river! I was worried that the river would be too low in September for a good float, but I was wrong. It has been a good water year, and there were still lots of fantastic rapids. It was exciting and exhilerating to be on the river again! 

I was hoping there would be a photographer taking pictures of us as we went over the biggest rapids (we were told that there would be), but unfortunately there wasn't. I didn't even bring my camera this time, so I have no photos of my own. One of the girls in the group, Manda (who'd I'd met once before) brought her camera and took some photos as we were stopped for lunch on a sand bar along the river. 
this was our boat

Our fun river guides served us a delicious lunch!
Kerry & I (btw I'm wearing the floppy sun hat that I bought last spring
to save my scalp from skin cancer. Josh HATES this hat, but I like it!)

Such a pretty day and a gorgeous setting!
At the end of the float, I jumped in the cold river and swam to the dock. It was freezing, but I'd been thinking about doing it since we stopped for lunch. I love swimming, even though I'm not a talented swimmer, and it was the last chance to go for the season, so I'm glad I took it.

We got home that evening just in time for dinner. I felt so rejuvenated after being on the river all day. It was an amazing gift! I'm so grateful for the LEP and for the anonymous donor who paid for my way because I enjoyed it immensely!

No comments: