Monday, July 28, 2014

CotM Part 3: Fun Formations

There is something truly beautiful about all the lava rock at Craters of the Moon. It doesn't look like much when you drive by it, but when you're in the park, and you're completely surrounded by it all, it's absolutely amazing. 

I took photos of some of the unique rocks that really appealed to me while we were there this time. If you haven't been there, I recommend going! It's truly an Idaho gem! ;)  

I fell in love with this rock for whatever reason! I just love the way it looks--
all the holes and the diagonal waves and the evolving hues.
Upon closer inspection, I found a smiley face in that rock face!

I think this looks like the inside of a dinosaur's toothy mouth.

This is called Pahoehoe: when the lava cools in rope-like shapes.

I think this rock resembles marble 

I love how this rock was smooth on the bottom and rough on top.
I think it looks like a bowl of popcorn!

Can you see the heart-shaped opening of this small lava tube?

The rocks along the edge of the Big Craters reflected a rainbow of colors--
it's hard to see it all the pigments in this photo.

The shape of this rock reminded me of Jar Jar Binks' face.
There was two tall weeds behind it, which look like its antennae.
So, I added the pine cone eyes to make it more complete!

I love how the wildflowers grew in the shape of an arrow pointing to the right.

A small arch made of lava rock!

No comments: