Thursday, December 26, 2013

Primary and Prayers

The Primary Program at church was on a Sunday in the middle of November. My boys looked so handsome in their suits!

It was a lovely program and the Spirit was so strong in the room. The theme this year was "I am a Child of God".

Jonah spoke about why we needed to come to earth and how we live by faith here since we don't remember our pre-existence. Micah spoke about why we need the Savior's atonement in order to return to live with Heavenly Father again.

Kanyon told a personal story about prayer. This past spring, he was playing outside with our dog Shorty. Shorty took his new glasses from his face and carried them off somewhere else outside. He looked around outside but couldn't find them anywhere. After searching for a while, and becoming very upset, the boys and I found out about it. We began helping him look outside for the glasses, but nobody discovered them. It was becoming dark, and getting harder and harder to see. I suggested we come in the house and say a prayer that we find them. Kanyon said that the prayer and asked Heavenly Father to help us find his glasses before it became dark. Then we went back outside and searched again. The boys were so discouraged, because we'd been looking for over an hour at this point. I began to feel like we should just give up, and right when I was going to suggest we go inside for the night, I stepped on the side piece of his glasses. It was truly a miracle that we found them. They were brown in color, and totally mixed right in with the dormant grass of early spring. I had walked by that spot earlier, and didn't even see the glasses. It was testimony of the power of prayer for all of us! I was so proud of Kanyon for telling the experience (a much shorter version) from the pulpit. He even memorized his part and didn't need help recounting it! He has really grown so much from just a few years ago when he wouldn't even stay on the stand during the Primary Program!

I was able to play the piano for it (a calling I received in March), and I really enjoyed playing as they practiced and performed their sweet songs. I loved the program and could see the difference that all their practices had made. I'm so grateful for our ward's primary leaders in creating the nice program, and I'm so happy that the general Primary felt divinely inspired to choose the simple and truthful theme of "I am a Child of God" this year. The children all spoke about how they knew they were a child of God in primary throughout the year, and I was so glad I could be present to hear their honest testimonies.

No comments: