Saturday, August 3, 2013

Soccer 2013

Jonah, Micah, and Kanyon all played soccer this summer. This was the 5th year we've been involved in soccer, and the boys really enjoy it and have really improved over the years. Ammon was a referee, which was a first, and he enjoyed getting paid to still be involved in the sport! I also was a coach for Kanyon's team, which ended up being really enjoyable for me, but I wasn't so sure in the beginning that it would be, and here's why:
 
The first year we did soccer was 2009. I volunteered that year to be the event coordinator/president of it. My boys had never played soccer before then, but they were interested in it, and the sport was going to end locally because nobody was willing to be in charge. So I stepped up and said I would do it--it was a huge learning experience for me! It was chaotic and crazy and stressful and I was so busy that fall season. During that time, my Grandma P. had a stroke and I was unable to go visit her until the end of the season. Unfortunately, she died before I could make that visit.
 
The next year, I decided to hand over the reins to somebody else, because I knew it was too much for me to handle, and thankfully soccer has continued to be a local sport. In 2010, I enjoyed just watching my boys play and not having to be in charge at all!
 
The next year, I thought it was time to help out again, so I volunteered to coach a team. I was assigned to coach with another woman, but it ended up becoming my sole responsibility. I also had a boy on our team who really struggled and never made it through a game without having a massive tantrum. Unfortunately, during that soccer season, Josh's Grandma T. became really sick and passed away. The night of her viewing, I coached a soccer game and my assistant coach didn't show up with the jerseys and a boy on my team refused to play and it was so stressful for me, and I cried the whole night after the game ended.
 
So, the next year, in 2012, I decided to once again take a break from being involved, and instead loved watching my boys from the sidelines.
 
That brings us to this year. I volunteered to coach again--knowing that once I said yes, most likely another grandparent would die during the season. Both times before when I volunteered for soccer, something disastrous happened and a grandma died. I was conflicted about what the future would bring during this year's soccer season. But I'm so pleased to admit, now that it's over, that nobody died this year and I had a great time volunteering!!
 
I coached Kanyon's U-6 team with my friend Gina. We had a great team of 4 boys and 4 girls. Our team color was gray, and we called ourselves the "Gray Elephants". We had 5 games in our 4-week season in June, and I think we outscored all the other teams in our games!
 
I was truly amazed at Kanyon's soccer abilities. He really understood the sport, and he was excellent at stopping the ball, defending the goal, kicking the ball, and turning the ball around and running with it to score goals--which he made lots of! He was phenomenal to watch and he loved playing it! I was so glad to have the opportunity to coach him!






Jonah and Micah were on the U-10 league this year. Their team color was purple, and they called themselves the "Purple Dragons". They had 10 teammates: 7 boys & 3 girls, and were coached by Brother Bragg and Faith's mom. They had a 6-week season, and played 6 games.

Both Jonah and Micah are great soccer players as well. They are swift with the ball, good defenders and blockers, and they both really enjoyed being goalie. I loved watching them play, and they both had a good time playing the sport. They only won a few of their games (because 2 of the teams were stacked), but Jonah maintained a positive attitude despite the losses. Micah was very disappointed and angry after some of the games they lost, and we had to have the "positive attitude" and "working together with your team" talks, and thankfully he improved his attitude over the season.

JONAH:




 
MICAH:





The older boys liked wearing long, funky socks during their games, and apparently their colorful apparel became popular with their teammates, too!


Overall, this year's soccer season was a positive one for our family! The boys wished it was even longer, because they enjoyed it so much! I'm happy they were involved in a sport that promotes teamwork as well as individual strength and coordination.

No comments: