Friday, August 16, 2013

Hot Rods & Pizza Slobs

After my horrible hospital stay from having my appendix removed, and the following week of constant sickness from my antibiotics, I was so tired of being stuck inside. I felt like a prisoner in the hospital and in my home, and I was depressed that summer was passing me by while I was wasting it miserable indoors. I wanted to get out and appreciate it instead of being cooped up feeling sorry for myself. Thankfully, I FINALLY started feeling better on Saturday the 13th--a whole week after the appendicitis began. And thankfully, there was something going on to get me out of the house...
 
The annual car show in Salmon is on Father's Day every year, and we always go to it. But this year, I was in Utah for Father's Day and we missed it. But we heard about an upcoming one in July because they were promoting it during the 4th of July parade.
 
On Saturday, July 13th, there was a smaller car show called "Hot Rod & Hootenanny" in Gibbonsville--about 45 minutes' drive north. I thought it sounded like the perfect family afternoon activity--a drive north, a car show, and we decided to go to a nice pizza restaurant near Gibbonsville afterwards, too. I was SOOO excited to go, and extremely grateful for Josh who came up with the idea because he knew I was going stir-crazy. The boys all thought it sounded good too, except for Ammon, who opted to stay home instead (I am quickly learning that any family activity doesn't sound good to teenage ears).
 
We got there in perfect time--about a half hour after we arrived, the car show ended. Me and the boys were able to see all the cars there, and I took photos of the boys by their favorites:
 
Jonah with a car that reminds me of Dukes of Hazzard

Micah with this bright truck that had a hinged lid
 
Kanyon with the two-tone truck and awesome silver lining
 
And I loved the dark blue color of this early model

Notice how I didn't label any of the cars with their model/make? Yeah...I'm not really good with car stuff, but I like looking at cool cars, and so do the boys! And if the car looks awesome, it's not like you really need to know all the detailed information, right?! ;) Besides, I was sort of out of it during the car show...I was very loopy from some pain meds that I took and I couldn't focus, but thankfully the camera still worked even if the person holding it didn't! Oh...and I just found a picture I took of car that I know the name of! I remember it from the Muppet Movie!

The car show was being hosted by the Ramey family in the RV park between their restaurant & their home, and they had this awesome little contraption in the yard. The boys were running around and playing with other small boys after we finished looking at the cars, and they had a fun time together!

 
After the car show ended, there were mini motorbike races. We watched them go around and around on the loop surrounding the grassy area, and it was very entertaining to see grown men on tiny motorbikes!

When the motorbike races were over, we decided to leave and headed a few miles south for dinner. We took the boys to Josephine's--a super delicious pizza restaurant in the mountains. Josh and I went there once last year and loved it, but we'd never taken the boys. We ordered two pizzas--a red sauce one covered with meat, and a white sauce one with bacon, onions & potatoes. They were both sooo good! It's been a long time since we'd been to a sit-down restaurant as a family, and Kanyon was getting antsy waiting for the food. He's used to the short-order Burger King, and likes to have his food in 5 minutes. He kept getting up and wandering around, and asked the waitress when dinner would be done! Thankfully there wasn't very many people in there, because I was a little embarrassed (and yet at the same time, I thought it was quite comical!). The wait definitely didn't disappoint, and the boys dug right in!!


Did you see how the boys were using utensils to eat the pizza? Strange...but I think because it was made with a thin crust, using their knives/forks somehow helped them eat it better. I, on the other hand, just ate it with my hands!

I was so happy after our afternoon trip. Despite having someone get carsick on the way up the mountain towards Gibbonsville (that would be Kanyon), and having someone be impatient with the waitress (again, Kanyon), it was still a delightful time with my family!

I was so glad to be out of the house, doing something fun with my family, and not having to worry about cleaning up dinner. Thanks Josh, for knowing exactly what I needed and for making summer seem fun and appealing to me again after my miserable week! This was definitely an enjoyable day for me!

No comments: