Sunday, August 25, 2013

BBQ

One of my 2013 goals is to invite others over once per season. The perfect get-together opportunity in the summertime was to host a BBQ. I used to have a big one every summer, and then I didn't have any at all for 2 years. Josh and I discussed dates, and decided to do one the first weekend of August. We hosted a smaller BBQ this time, but it was very relaxing and I truly enjoyed the company. We invited 3 families over: the Evans', the Lamont's, and the Tarkalson's. The boys helped me make preparations all day in anticipation of the evening dinner, and they were so excited at the prospect of having friends over that they didn't even whine with the list of chores I gave them! After getting the yard and house ready, then I got to work preparing food. I handmade the hamburger patties this time around. I'd been craving them for weeks and couldn't wait to eat them! Josh grilled them for us when the company began arriving.

 
The ladies all brought lots of food with them, too, and we ate a really good dinner of hamburgers with all the toppings, deviled eggs, watermelon, berry parfait, chips & dip, broccoli salad, and several delicious dessert choices. The adults sat on the deck to eat, then we stayed around the table talking and laughing. The conversation was so fun and light, and it was a delight for me to be surrounded by great friends after eating comfort foods!

The kids ate on tables set up in the yard, and then they played in our backyard and Grandma's neighboring yard for hours. The kids all got along with each other, which was so nice for me because I never had to intervene: there was no fighting or arguing or bullying or whining to stop. The ditch was full of water, and they had fun playing in that for a while. Then they changed activities and began entertaining themselves by throwing apples off of Grandma's trees at each other, and they made a war out of it, which lasted for a long time. When they finally got tired of that, I yelled at them to clean up the mess (which they did), and then the party ended! 
 
 

 This has been such a fun goal for me to work on this year! It always helps me feel motivated to clean my house, it helps me work on my hosting skills, and I get to spend time with people I like (and we usually eat good food while doing it, too!).

No comments: