Tuesday, March 19, 2013

time to be chopped

The older I get, the more my hair loses life. So the older I get, the shorter my hairstyles have become, in order to get some life out of the thin, fine locks that I have now.
 
For the past two years, I've had an A-line style. It was longer in front (to at least my chin), and slightly shorter in the back.
 
That style worked out great for a long time, but the last few months, I wasn't getting any sort of body (or as my husband calls it: "poof") out of it. It looked flat, and it felt lifeless, and it had started to bug me. I thought about getting it permed, because that always helps straight hair look fuller. But, I kept thinking back to the last time I got a perm, and it didn't last very long, and my hair just ended up looking frizzy a lot, so I kept questioning if that was right for me. Finally, I just decided to get a drastic cut; shorter than I've ever cut it before. My good friend Amanda (who's a hair stylist) agreed, and did the job for me at the end of January:


She did a great job! I really liked the back. It was so easy to style: all I had to do each morning was put some styling gel in it, hairspray it, and blow dry it correctly and it stayed volumous all day. But the top was giving me a hard time, and kept falling flat. So I went back to Amanda after 2 weeks, and she trimmed the top and sides to match the back:

Since I work with kids each day, and they've seen the same hair style on me for the past two years, they were shocked to see me with my new poofy hair. I had several kids tell me "You're having a bad hair day". A few kids said "What's wrong with your hair?" And a couple of kids told me "Your hair is sticking up". It was giving me a complex at first...I like how kids are so honest, and they don't hold back, but after so many kids were saying the same things, I was thinking that perhaps my hair wasn't as cute as I thought it was. Thankfully, I work with a lot of women who understand the value of a good and stylish cut, and I received a lot of compliments from them to balance out the kids' comments!

I really enjoy the new cut! It's so much easier to do every day, it has more volume than it did before, and it's a style that's current with the times.

I'm dreading what will happen in a couple years from now, though, when it no longer will retain body at this length, and I will have to cut it even shorter! Eventually, at this rate, I'm gonna have to buzz it! ;)

3 comments:

darcymae said...

Love it! It's YOU! I wasn't sure when you said on FB that you'd had it done but once I saw a picture, I loved it on you.

D'Neill said...

It's so cute!! When my hair was short and I would do it spiky like that, my kids would ALWAYS say, "What happened to your hair today?" Kids!

Holly said...

Cute!