Monday, June 11, 2012

Cream Puffs + Mini Chocolate Cupcakes =

 my Dad's Birthday Cake!!!

My Dad's Birthday is on April 6, and this year it was the Friday of Easter Weekend. Our whole family was together for the Perkins Reunion that same weekend, so we all got to celebrate his birthday together as well. The Reunion began on Friday, and we were all travelling from different locations to the Reunion Rental Home in St. Anthony. I wanted to take a birthday cake that would travel easy, and not be destroyed on the drive. I bought a box of frozen Cream Puffs at Sam's Club a few weeks earlier, thinking that I would just lay them all out in a large pan, and place candles in some of the puffs to make the outlines of a 7 and a 1. But the day before we left for St. Anthony, I worried that the candles wouldn't stay upright in the puffs, and I didn't want the candles to destroy the yummy puffs, so I came up with an alternate idea. I needed something similar in size to the cream puffs to put the candles in, and it needed to be darker than the cream puffs so the numbers would stand out. I had some chocolate cake mix in the cupboard, so I packed it up with some mini-cupcake liners and the baking tin. After we arrived at the Reunion Home, I got to work baking chocolate mini cupcakes, and then placed some of them with the cream puffs in a giant cake pan. I was so happy with the result of my creative thinking! My dad isn't fond of cake, so he was happy with it, too!
The cream puffs were gone in a matter of minutes after he blew out the candles, and everyone snacked on all the extra chocolate mini-cupcakes during the remainder of the reunion, too.
It was the easiest birthday cake I've ever made!!!

No comments: