Thursday, March 29, 2012

Seussical

Dr. Seuss' birthday is March 2. I just love his books, because I love silly stories and using my imagination and reading make-believe, and they're delightful to read aloud because of all the rhymes!

The first week in March, my second grade students performed "Seussical Musical Jr" to celebrate his birthday! I have 3 second grade classes, and each class did their own separate play of it. They each performed it twice that week: one for fellow students and one for their family/friends. So there was a total of 6 performances in 4 days! It was a crazy, but super fun week!

Seussical Musical Jr. is so fun to learn and present! The students started working on it after Christmas Break, and they loved working on it! There are 6 songs, each with lyrics taken from stories that Seuss wrote. After we learned each song, I read to the classes the book that the lyrics of that song came from. For every song, the students learned coordinating movements and they stood in different formations on the stage. The dialogue in between each song talks about Seuss' books, too. I played the narrator, and I was always on stage for the dialogue, but I left during each song for the kids to sing it by themselves.

Each student had one line they said during the play, which they got to choose. Jonah's line was "Splash!" and Micah's part was "or Solla Sollew". Even though each class performed the same play, the performances were all a little different because the students in each class are so different! It was wonderful for me to be a part of such great productions, and I enjoyed watching Jonah and Micah perform on stage!

1 comment:

Debra said...

Hey Kala. Your blog is always so fun to read. It seems like you are so busy doing so many fun things with your family and friends. Thanks for keeping up on your blog...there are so many people that don't these days so I appreciate it...Thanks...A fellow blogger:)