Monday, March 19, 2012

Farewell, my friend

I want to tell you about my friend Kevin.

I first met Kevin 8 or 9 years ago. My best friend at that time was Kayleen, and her sister Melissa married Kevin in the summer of 2003. I knew Kevin by association...sometimes when I would go with Kayleen to karaoke, Kevin and Melissa came too. Then Kayleen moved. The summer of 2007, she came back and stayed with the Wright's for a long time and we all went to outdoor karaoke together. I especially loved it because all our kids came and played, too.

I saw Kevin occasionally when I ate at the local restaurant the Coffee Shop, which he owned. He was always pleasant to be around, he was also super funny, had a great smile, and loved to cook for and serve others.

In 2008, Melissa served with me in the PTO presidency, and after the Halloween Carnival that year, I went over to their new house and visited and laughed and ate dried pumpkin seeds. I have fond memories of that night!

In 2009, my son Ammon and his daughter Lizzie were both first-time 4-H kids in the same group. Kevin and I would talk as the kids were in meetings, and when we went to the fair that August, our pigs were in neighboring stalls so we spent time around Kevin & Melissa's family.

In 2010, Ammon and Lizzie both did swine 4-H again, and we were in the same group again. That summer, Ammon's pigs didn't grow very well, so we took a loaner pig that Lizzie raised to the fair. We had some very intense experiences trying to catch pigs at the Wright's house...which we laugh about now!

In spring of 2010, I became very close with Amanda, who was Kevin's best friend from High School. And once again, I knew Kevin by association...we talked and laughed at ward functions, school activities, friend parties, community events, weddings and funerals, etc.

When Kevin's birthday came in December of 2010, I went with Amanda to Bertram's for a friend/coworker party for him. We still talk about that party...and singing happy birthday to him surrounded by a dozen people...and I totally blurted out the wrong name!  That night, I went with Amanda and John to his family birthday party at his house. We sang karaoke, and laughed and talked, he opened gifts, and we all had a good time.

In April of 2011, Kevin had his desperately-needed liver transplant at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. He was diagnosed 10 years ago with a liver disease, and he'd gotten sicker and sicker as the years passed. We were all so nervous and scared for the surgery, and we fasted and prayed for his recovery. Amanda and I helped run a fundraiser in May for him to help with the costs associated with travel and medical expenses. It was a long and painful recovery for him, but he was finally able to return home to Salmon in August. He looked healther and happier than I'd ever seen him. His skin had pink color, his hair was growing thick and curly and no longer gray, and he didn't look as skinny as he used to be. His laugh and smile returned too, and he was so fun to be around!

In December of 2011, we hosted a birthday party for him to celebrate another year of life! The previous year, we worried that it might be his last birthday party, but we were so happy to have the chance to celebrate his life again with him! We had a karaoke party at John's house, with friends and lots of food! Amanda was there, as well as James--another of Kevin's high school buddies. James' wife Shari stopped by for a bit, and Kevin and Melissa came and stayed for a while. We sang and talked and ate our hearts out. We laughed and joked and we had a swell time.

It was less than a month later that Kevin and his family moved away from Salmon. And it was just days after they moved that Kevin became very ill. His family had all gotten sick prior to the move, and he just thought he caught their cold. But then it got worse, and he was diagnosed with pneumonia. The doctors also told him that he had an abcess on his liver, so he had to go back to the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. After he got there, he had a surgery to insert a drainage tube into his liver. He was in so much pain. There were some complications, and he passed away within a week of the surgery.

My friend Kevin was my age: he just turned 32. We all thought the successful transplant he received last spring had saved his life. Nobody expected after coming home in August, that he would be gone 6 months later. That liver transplant gave him the gift of one more Christmas, one more birthday, one more season of living with his wife and family at his home.

Kevin did all the important things that needed to be done in this life, and he was an example to everyone he came in contact with. He was married and became a father. He got baptized and was sealed to his wife and family in the temple. He served the Lord in several capacities, and especially loved the calling he had of being in the Young Men's organization. He loved the youth, and it showed.

Kevin never complained about the pain he experienced daily. He never let his disease get him down. He was an amazing dad, and he loved his 3 children tremendously. He was faithful and devoted to his wife. He was kind and giving to so many employees, friends, and family members. He truly lived a Christ-like life, and I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

I had the amazing opportunity to sing at his funeral with his best friend (and mine) Amanda. John completed our trio, and we sang Kevin's favorite hymn "I know that my Redeemer lives". Kevin loved listening to us sing together. When the 3 of us were practicing our song for the Salmon Idol this past fall, Kevin and Melissa came to watch and he thought it was so fun and he enjoyed listening and watching us.

I miss Kevin. He will never be forgotten, and I will forever cherish the happy memories I have with him.

His funeral was on a cold, drizzly, depressing Wednesday in February. Kevin was carried to his final resting place in the Salmon cemetary. I know that he is pain-free now, and is in a happier and better place. He leaves behind the legacy of his life and love, and we remain with hearts that hurt in his absence. 



1 comment:

My Weightloss Journey said...

What a Beautiful Legacy he lefty his Family! I have many memories of Kevin! And think of hime often! Thanks for sharing!! :)