Sunday, March 25, 2012

2 plays, 2 days, 4 performances

One of my favorite teachers ever was Mr. Bahr, my drama director.

In 7th grade, our curriculum at school included a few choices for electives and I decided I wanted to take as many music and drama classes as possible. There was a lady teaching theater that year, and I wasn't a big fan of her, but I was happy to be involved in the theater program and be a part of the play ensemble. She quit at the end of the year. Mr. Bahr moved to town and became my drama teacher and play director in 8th grade. My first major acting part of "Ursula" in Bye Bye Birdie was under his direction.

The next year, I went to high school and had a different drama teacher, but he quit at the end of that year, then Mr. Bahr transferred to the high school my sophomore year. I had him all the way through the rest of my high school years. I was in several of his classes, many of his plays, and was coached by him through a dozen theater competitions, including the year I won the title of state champion in the humorous monologue category. He was good with kids, he had an energetic attitude, he was knowledgeable of the theater, he had a sense of humor, and he was very creative. He was an all-around awesome teacher. There were times that I got mad at him for not casting me in a part I thought I should've had, but he always explained to me why I didn't get the part and why someone else did. I don't know of many teachers that would do that. He was an excellent director, and he had a passion for his work and it showed.

After high school, I attended SUU to become a Secondary Ed. English/Theater teacher. Coincidentally, the year after I quit attending SUU, Mr. Bahr transferred there to work, and I don't think I've seen him since.

Even though I never got my teaching degree, whenever I'm involved in a musical production or directing a program at school, I think of him and use him as my inspiration.  

I teach music to grades K-5. There are two 4th grade classes that I teach. Back in November, the 4th graders began working on Musicals. There were two play choices that fit their age level: The Music Man Jr. and Annie Jr. Both are condensed versions of the full-length plays. Each class read through the scripts, and voted on which play they wanted to do. One class chose Music Man, and the other class chose Annie. Then we watched the movies to understand the full plot of the stories, and had auditions in class. Then we worked on memorizing songs and scripts, stage movement and choreography, wearing costumes, and using scene changes. It took us 4 months from beginning to end to get the finished product, and the last week of February, we were finally ready to perform.

I thought of Mr. Bahr and how much work he used to put into our plays that I had no comprehension of when I was just a student...but now I have a much better idea as the director! These plays took a lot of extra time out of school to accomplish: creating scripts, designing backdrops, finding costumes, making programs, getting props, memorizing lines & lyrics, etc. And having two plays going on at the same time was no easy task...I kept forgetting choreography and mixing up steps that I'd made up for one song that were supposed to go with another song in the other play!

I began getting frustrated with the plays about 2 weeks before the performance date, because it felt like no matter how much we practiced, the students weren't getting any better. They were forgetting lines, not remembering their stage blocking, and never came on at the right times. I wasn't sure the students were going to pull it off even after our final practice. I was so stressed out at the beginning of the week that the plays were scheduled: 3 kids moved, so parts were being reassigned and it elevated my duress. But when we performed our dress rehearsal shows (one show for each play) in front of the studentbody, the students did marvelous! I was shocked and SOO proud of them! The student-audience loved the shows, and there were rave reviews! The 4th graders were a little nervous for their parent performance, and a few things got forgotten or messed up, but overall, they did so good and I was so pleased!

The Music Man Jr. cast:
(Back row: Salesmen, Pick-a-little Ladies, Mrs. Shinn.
Front row: Conductor, School Board, Mayor Shinn, Harold Hill, Marian, Winthrop, and Mrs. Paroo)
  

The cast of Annie Jr.:
(Back row: orphans, Miss Hannigan, Grace Ferrell, Oliver Warbucks, Servants.
Front row: Dog Catcher, Lt. Ward, Dog Sandy, Annie, Narrators)

I'm glad to have a job that I'm able to direct students in musical productions, because something inside of me comes alive when I'm performing on the stage or when I'm directing students who are performing. It's a rewarding job for me, and so fulfilling to watch the students excel after all their hard work.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I loved having Mr. Bahr teach English in Middle School. He is definitely one of my all-time favorite teachers. I always thought theater would be fun, but alas, I can sing but not act. ;) So, I used my musical talents elsewhere.