Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Toll" Bridge

We drive over a bridge every day to get from our house to town. The bridge spans the wide and beautiful Salmon River. A few months ago, Kanyon started calling it the "toll" bridge. In fact, he started calling every bridge he saw a "toll" bridge. There are no toll bridges in Idaho, and he's never been in a car with me when I've crossed a toll bridge, so I couldn't figure out how he even knew what toll bridges are. But one day, I learned what he really meant when he said that...

He likes watching Dora the Explorer. Every time Dora has to cross a bridge in one of her adventures, there's a troll in front of it who won't let her cross until she solves his riddle. So, since Dora only has troll bridges to cross, Kanyon now thinks every single bridge in real life is also a "toll" (troll) bridge!

A few weeks ago at preschool, Kanyon's class was learning about the story of three billy goats gruff and the troll. They got to make a hat that day with either a troll or a goat on it. I thought he would pick the troll since he's obsessed with "toll" bridges, but when he came home from school, he was wearing the goat. And he was so proud of the goat that he colored, too! I love this age he's at--so independent, so fun, so cute! He's says the funniest things and he loves learning about new things! It's so wonderful to watch him grow!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

When I first started reading your post I thought, "He meant troll bridges!!" I remember when my kids were into watching Dora, they would watch the same episode and say the same thing! :)

MikeS said...

My kids love playing the 3 billy goats gruff on the play equipment bridge. I, of course, get stuck playing the roll off the troll every time.