Friday, February 18, 2011

Our Boy Scout

Because Ammon turned 11 in January, he moved up from being a cub scout to a boy scout. Ammon earned his Webelos badge and his Arrow of Light award at his last boy scouts pack meeting at the end of January. He worked hard to get both, and we were so proud of him! The cub scout master did a little presentation for his Arrow of Light, and after receiving the medal, his cub scout leader walked him across the room to the pack of boy scouts and his new boy scout leader. He had to hold onto a rope as they were walking to represent the transition between cub scouts and boy scouts.
He is loving being in boy scouts! Last Sunday was "Scout Sunday", and Ammon was asked to be the youth speaker at church. It was the first time he's spoken in Sacrament Meeting besides the annual primary program, and he did a great job! He wore his boy scout uniform to church, and he wrote his own talk. In his own words, this is what he said:

"I've been asked to give a talk on scouting. I was in cub scouts for 3 years until I turned 11 in January. Some of my favorite activities were probably making baskets and drums. A couple of the food drives were a little fun too. I was proud of myself when I earned the bobcat, wolf, bear, and webelos badges and I was also proud to earn the arrow of light award. It took some faith to earn the arrow of light award because I had to believe in myself, and some of the things I had to accomplish were hard. Some of the things I had to do to earn my arrow of light were to memorize the 12 points of the scout law, to go on an overnight campout, and visit either a boy scout troop meeting or a boy scout activity. Some things that I hope to accomplish in scouting are to earn my tenderfoot, 1st and 2nd class badges, star scout, life scout, and Eagle Scout badge. I'm looking forward to the Klondike derby at the end of this month because I think it's going to be a lot of fun."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job, Ammon! Those are some great accomplishments!
--Tiffany