Wednesday, November 11, 2009

men are that they might have JOY

In Sunday School this past week, we discussed the differences between happiness and joy. To me, happiness is a state of mind, and joy is a state of being; happiness is something you feel in your heart and mind, while joy is something you feel in your heart, mind, and SOUL. Joy is happiness on a deeper, greater level. One afternoon in October, I experienced the feeling of true joy for 15 minutes, and happiness and peace lingered in my heart, mind, and soul the rest of the day.
The first day we sold pumpkins, it was a gorgeous day. Our patch was open for 6 hours, and even though the boys took breaks from it, I was always sitting there. Just sitting there enjoying the beauty that surrounded me, and I loved taking in the sights and sounds and smells of being outdoors on such a beautiful fall day. I felt happiness in the simplicity of the day and grateful for the time to ponder things in my mind. After the sale was over, we went to pick up the directional signs that were placed by two intersections down the road. We decided to take the 4-wheeler to pick them up; Josh drove it, and I sat behind him with my arms wrapped around his chest. We attached a little trailer behind it, and the kids wanted to ride in that. As we drove down the road, I could hear the boys laughing, I could feel the wind in my hair, I could smell Josh's aroma, and I could see the beautiful landscape of grass and colored trees and water. I experienced pure joy right then. It filled me to the core. In Galations 5:22 it says "...the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace..." and I felt all of it. It was absolutely incredible, and hard to describe.
It reminds of me of a primary song, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me":
Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face, or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose, or walk by a lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see the color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear the magical sound of things.
He gave my my life, my mind, my heart, I thank him reverently
For all his creations of which I'm a part. Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.

5 comments:

Debra said...

Very beautiful Kala...You have such a positive attitude. I Love your pumpkin patch! What a great little project for your boys! YOu are such a good mom!

Franson Funny Farm said...

Thanks Kala! I needed this one today!

Eve said...

gorgeous! I love it. It's those moments--those incredibly rare wonderful moments that make life worth living,

Ryan n Heidi said...

That is inspirational and beautiful- thank you for sharing! We are meant to have joy and happiness...love you guys!

Tiffany said...

It was definetly a beautiful fall this year! Looks like you guys had a great pumpkin patch! I love the white ones! And it is so true that those moments are what life is all about! Thanks for giving me the inspiration to think all the things that bring me JOY!