Thursday, November 12, 2009

the Man Cave

I visited my Grandpa at his house in Spokane the day before my Grandma's funeral. I loved listening to him talk of his experiences during WWII and his memories of life. He talked me to about places they lived, about building their old house, about life after war, about his younger years. It was absolutely delightful, and I definitely learned a lot about his life in just 2 hours! My Grandpa's basement is the only true Man Cave I've ever been in. He's so proud of everything in that room; he surrounds himself with items that represent good times of his life. He can point to any one thing and has a story to go along with it. I love that for as long as I've lived, his room has remained almost unchanged. When they built their new house, they had it patterned after the old one on the Lake, so it feels very familiar to be in.

Grandpa in his chair

the fireplace--a close replica to the one in the old house

the giant rug--still in great condition after all these years

the bear (thanks Trina for the photo)

the wolf

the bobcats and the badger

the ferret
"Clyde" the Caribou

the hand-made cukoo clock

the old phone I used to play with as a child

some of his collections:

After the funeral, I went to his house to tell him goodbye, and he took me into his war room and showed me several things in there. I sure love my Grandpa. I'm very proud of the things he's accomplished during his lifetime of 92 years. I look forward to visiting him again this coming weekend.

1 comment:

Sunshine Designed said...

I recall many of those things from my one trip to the Lake house. Great Pictures. Grandpa is such a sweet heart. A d-day survivor- that in itself is miraculous. Glad you had a nice visit, considering. Do you think you could write up some of those stories for us? I know Mick would love that. Me too.