Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Nightmare

Last night, I was driving in Los Angeles. Jonah (age 5) wanted to drive Grandma and Grandpa's car, so I let him. I followed him down the highway, but he made one wrong turn. I was on a 4-lane highway with a cement blockade between the two ways of traffic, and there was no way I could turn off or turn around. By the time I got back to the road where Jonah was last seen, he was nowhere in sight. I was sick. In the car with me were Micah, Kanyon, Ammon, Josh and my friend Charlotte and her baby boy. I decided to head back to Utah to return Charlotte to her family. So I left the sight again, and got on a freeway. One side of the freeway was under construction, so both ways of traffic were using the 4-lanes on the other side. Except, there was no construction barriers, so you had to weave in and out of oncoming traffic, with semi trucks going both ways as the scariest part. After driving for half hour on the freeway, and being scared out of my wits, I decided to pull over. I called Grandma and Grandpa to get the make and model of the car (it was a Daimler-Chrysler). Then I called the L.A. Police Department. I gave them the car's description, the 5-year-old driver's description, what clothes he was wearing, his name, and where he was last spotted. Then I decided to turn around and go back to keep searching for him, knowing full well that I would probably be arrested for child endangerment. Charlotte called her brother to come pick her up and take her home. On the drive back to the road where Jonah was last seen, I pondered...
Why was I even in Los Angeles? I think we were vacationing and school shopping.
Why did I allow my 5-year old to drive? My conclusion was because I was too tired to realize it.
Why would I abandon my child at that scene? I wouldn't.
That thought woke me up.
My children were all safe in their beds. Sigh of relief.
I used to have nightmares all the time, but I haven't had one like that in months. It was very vivid and very horrible. I'm grateful it was only a nightmare, and nothing more.
Does this ever happen to you? Does your biggest fears become reality in your nightly visions?

7 comments:

Miss Heather said...

Not all the time... but yes, I have definitely had some vivid dreams. Mostly my nightmares have been that Michael and I get divorced and it's always because I chose it. It freaks me out!!

Sunshine Designed said...

All the time! Always about water and Liberty dying, or snakes, or more water scares! I HATE dreams like that. Sorry you had a bad night!

Gina said...

it must be the drugs:) Hope you get feeling better soon.

Sunshine said...

Ya, I have nightmares, but mine are about tornadoes and I am always separated from my family... especially my kids. It's horrible

D'Neill said...

I haven't had any nightmares come true, but I HATE the ones where you can't find a child, or I've had ones where I'm somewhere and just have NO idea where any of my kids are. I'm sure it means something (something about my mothering ability???), and I hate them!

My Weightloss Journey said...

I hate the dreams that wake you up an seems so real you cant catch your breath. I have these quite often. Scary and it gets your adrenaline going forever! It probably didn't help that you were sick :)

Debra said...

Yes, I have dreams but my most vivid nightmares usually occur when I am pregnant...It's always a relief to wake and find out that the kids and family are all safe and it was just a nightmare!