Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mantooa is Manaway?

If you were driving and saw a sign for a place named Mantua, how would YOU pronounce it? It is a beautiful little town in the Sardine Canyon between Brigham City and Logan. I went to Young Women's camp there a few times. Everyone always pronounced it "Manaway" but whenever we drove there, the sign looked like it was pronounced "Mantooa". I thought they were two places. I thought "Manaway" was the YW campground we went to by the town "Mantooa". It wasn't until Josh and I were married that I discovered they were the same. Mantua is pronounced "Manaway", NOT "Mantooa". I lived in Tremonton for 10 years before I realized that! Have you ever made the same mistake with its pronunciation?

Tolman Reunion 2009 was at Mantua the 2nd weekend of June. Aunt Twila's children hosted this year. It was an absolutely beautiful day! We brought our babysitter and friend Kimi with us and we had a blast! We spent a lot of time by the reservoir; it was the perfect environment with water, sun, sand, and mountains!At the campground: we all enjoyed flavored cotton candy (thanks Sherri!!), Kanyon loved the swing (he was on it for 2 hours), Jonah and Micah had fun in a "boys club" (several little boy cousins running around with sticks), Josh won a candy jar contest (Laffy Taffys-YUM!), I enjoyed watching Kimi flirt with cousin Jeff (and dreamed of days gone by), Ammon had fun playing frisbee (with Kimi and Jeffy), and we got to have a sneak preview of Gid and Alyssa's engagement photos! Every year, I tease Josh because he sits by and only talks to his parents and siblings at the big reunion! So this year, Josh took a big step out of his routine and visited with family other than his parents! I took several photos to document it!!!The last two years, I've photographed the large family bunch at mealtime (that's when everyone comes together, right?!), and in the last two years, someone in each of my photos died after the reunion. So, this year, I opted not to take a photo of the large family bunch during mealtime. I stuck to photographing our immediate family instead! The food was delicious, the "catching up" with extended family was needed, and the whole day was just a lot of FUN!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Looks like fun! (I made the Mantua mistake as well;) Next time you guys are in the area, please call! We'd love to have dinner or just hang out!

Stacy said...

Sounds fun. I get how you'd make the mistake with Mantua. I wonder why they spell it that way? Anywho...loved the pictures and captions. Especially the one about the big family photo ops. Made me laugh...or maybe I shouldn't have been laughing. Sorry.

Miss Heather said...

I always thought it was funny that Mantua was pronounced that way. I remember commuting from Logan to Brigham City when I was doing theatre at Heritage and passing it every day twice... and thinking... what the crap? :)

Melissa said...

Your blog made me laugh, and reminded me of when I had two friends from Moab who had driven through Sardine to go to the USU music camp and I mentioned that they had to drive past Manaway and they both looked at each other and went...Ohhh, THAT'S how you say it...

darcymae said...

i never said it wrong just because i had heard it said my whole life. but the first time i SAW it...i couldnt figure out what it said. my husband, who grew up in arizona, said it wrong at first and i teased him mercilessly.