Saturday, July 11, 2009

2 Suprises: 1 Happy, 1 Sad

Josh's dad's birthday was June 9. I thought it would be fun to have a little surprise BBQ party for him. I know he doesn't like people to make a big deal for his birthday, so I kept it small. Gideon helped make decorations and banners for it. I told Josh's mom Kathy earlier that day that we were planning on having a BBQ for Edward's birthday that evening. I knew if I told Kathy, she would tell Edward, and they would both make an effort to come home on time from work for it. I also invited Edward's best friend Clyde and his wife Jan. Kathy arrived, then Edward, and Jan and Clyde drove up right behind him. So even though Edward and Kathy knew about the meal, they were surprised to see their friends! We ate delicious burgers cooked up by Josh and a meal I'd prepared. We enjoyed visiting and spending quality time together. It was a nice little party. I will always remember that evening, and I know everyone else will as well.

Because just over a week later, Clyde unexpectedly died in a motorcycle accident. It was very sudden and very sad. He was an incredible man and the funeral was an amazing tribute to him and the good life that he lived. Edward spoke at it, and did a wonderful job. Clyde is missed, and his absence is felt in our family and in the community. His life was filled with service, and he had a true love relationship with God, with his family, and with the land he ranched, and it showed. There are countless stories of the good that he did for this family, too. I am so grateful to have known him, and grateful for the influence of good that he had on the Tolman family. I spoke to Jan right before the funeral, and she said one of the last fond memories of them was at Edward's surprise party; I agreed. I took my camera to the party, and several times felt like I should take a photo of the four of them together, but the timing was never right and I never took that photo--and I regret it.
Life has so many unexpected moments that we can't plan for. Moments that shake up our lives as we know it: death, divorce, moving, job loss, illness, accidents. But trials can be blessings, right? Those major bumps in the road of life come with introspective thoughts of reflection, gifts of appreciation for the small things we enjoy, reasons for change and motivation to be better. And for that I am grateful, grateful for so many things.

2 comments:

Eve said...

I'm so sorry! Whether you have pictures or not, at least you have great memories to cherish.

birdeeb said...

Wow I really appreciate this post...you never know...we have to remember when we have those feelings we need to act on them...I felt like that at the reunion & I was snapping away at EVERYTHING haha! I love the reunions at the ranch & it seems like home to me. I think it's awesome you had the party for Edward though & that they all were able to cherish each other for that last moment. Wow!